Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
US
State
SC
City
Charleston
I have started having periods of swelling of the inside of my mouth causing me to bite my lip and cheek. Anybody got any good remedies to lessen this before I chew my own face off:)

If you can tolerate a mouth guard it will help.

It's not swelling (but it feels like swelling), it's the muscles becoming floppy and the inside of the mouth doesn't hold shape so well. Also there can be some spasticity, which causes muscles not to move so smoothly and so biting inside the mouth incidents increase.

I remember in the early days, during the months of trying to get a diagnosis, as bulbar onset, Chris would tell me and every doctor that inside his mouth was swollen, he could feel it. They would all assure him it was not.

We finally figured out what was going on. However a mouth guard caused him to salivate copiously and gag.

The biting inside the mouth is really cruel, I hope someone else found another way to help stop it.

There are various kinds of mouth guards. I would try a pliable (more like vinyl) plastic first, not hard.

Yes there are various types of mouth guards, that's a good point.

The one Chris had was made for him so fitted perfectly, but it's a bulbar issue that anything touching inside the mouth can cause immediate, copious salivation and gagging.

I also didn't mention in my first reply that often biting one spot inside the mouth then does cause local swelling, and even ulcers, and often you bite the same spot again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back