00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Hi everyone

Is swelling in hands where weakness is present common? In hands that have some finger curling going on? If so, does anyone have suggestions. Thank you kindly in advance for your replies

Yes, that is a reason to do massage where you move the fluid gently toward the middle of the hand, using your own fingers on both sides of his. You will also want to do range of motion to keep circulation and fluid moving for the arm as a whole, lifting it no higher than it can go if the shoulder joint is affected, and supporting the elbows, as you saw in the video. You can also bend the elbows, fingers, and wrists, to keep them from locking up, while supporting the other joints along the arm while you do this. You always want to support his weak shoulders by pressing such that you reconstitute the joint, when doing any whole arm movement.

Hi Mon - My sister developed dependent edema/swelling in her legs as she progressed and was no longer able to move them. Keeping her legs elevated (at about 45 degree angle) when she sits in her chair during the day definitely helped to decrease the swelling tremendously. In addition to the excellent advice above, I wonder if keeping arms on a table versus hanging down might help as well? Best to you.

Yes, a table if that does not strain the shoulder, or on a arm rest/foam block or pillow in the wheelchair. Larry's arms were never allowed to hang, in the wheelchair, sling or bed.

Hi there, swelling has gotten a bit better since i posted. Dad has been resting his arms while sitting in a chair more this week. He has the flail arm type and his legs are strong, so he likes to do what he can to keep busy and that typically involves stuff while walking or standing and his arms hang. He can still use both hands(minus 2-3 fingers in curl on left hand) but the left arm is pretty limited nowadays and i would agree that is what has caused the swelling. Thanks all for the tips.

My father's feet are swollen but every time my mother asks if he wants his feet raised he declines.

My father doesnt like being fussed over. We try to do so many things with him and he declines more than half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back