Diagnosis
11/2016
Country
US
State
MI
City
Escanaba
My caregiver insisted on calling my doctor, who in turn sent me to the ER my right arm and hand have been swelling . Today it was hard to the touch and very red, it was not warm. They suspected a blood clot, but the ultrasound came back clear. They sent me home, and said watch it for a couple of days, and keep it elevated. Have any of you had isolated body parts swell from this?

I’ve had swelling in different places than usual but not hard to the touch or red. I did have a blood clot a couple years ago and they really had to scan longer than usual to find it. But that was painful. Hope they figure this out for you.
Tammy

that happened to my right foot and about half way up my calf, about 2-3 years ago. It was really hot and hard to the touch. I kept it elevated and it went away overnight.

before that my ankles would swell but not like it did that one time. I had a naturopath who told me to do hot castor oil packs for the swelling. It was messy but helped a lot.

A blood clot would be the primary concern in a paralyzed limb. Ultrasound is not 100% accurate. Infection is another concern, but less likely if you don’t have a fever or any kind of puncture wound in the area. Swelling in the feet and ankles is often edema. Edema can affect the upper extremities too. Elevation definitely helps.

I have regular swelling in my right ankle and hand. I went through the whole ER process a year ago. No clot. Now I just keep my feet elevated as often as possible and it helps. Also occasional massage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back