Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
IL
State
AA
City
hadarom, israel
hello all. i have limb onset, can still eat most things, do not want a PEG yet because I am plump and not losing weight. but i cannot swallow pills. so my caregiver grinds up my neudexta and gives it to me with applesauce and that is fine. but if we try the same thing with rilutek, it makes my mouth numb, or if we open the capsule and remove the square tablet and i try to swallow it, it sticks in my throat. annoyin'!
any ideas?
Betsy

That's the point when I got a PEG. I've had it for 6 months and use it only for meds. It's in place for when feeding becomes dangerous and I start using formula. It isn't a difficult procedure and beats gagging on the pile of pills I take. The sooner you get it the less risk of having it done, complication wise. This disease really sucks.
Vincent

I agree with Vincent, I to have a peg that I now use only for taking meds, that way you can take them easily and you can't taste the foul things. The tube is something that you will probably need so now is the time to get it, if not needed it is easily removed. They are really no inconvenience and down the road may do you a lot of good.
Al

Ok guys,I hear you.Will discuss with nurse.
Carry on,
Betsy

You may want to discuss getting a Peg tube with your doctor. It is likely that you will need it at some point. The longer you wait to the more risky the surgery is, especially if you have lung or breathing issues. My mother has had a peg tube for 2 months now and hasn't used it except for in-taking extra water. You couldnt potentially use it just for meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back