00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
City
Austin
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone ever started with swallowing issues as a first symptom? For a few months I have been having difficulty swallowing, food gets stuck and after eating or drinking anything I burp a lot and feel what feels like air bubbles coming back up in my throat and it feels like I don't have much room to swallow. The mechanism feels off almost and like I don't have much room to swallow. I have also had a strangling sensation along with this which is absolutely awful.

Was wondering if ALS can present this way? I am on the waitlist for a neurologist.

Sounds like GERD, allergies, or a structural problem. I would see a gastroenterologist, assuming you have already discussed this with your PCP (always the first port of call). Meanwhile, I would focus on hydration and timing your liquids. For example, some people do better if they drink a few minutes before eating. And you can keep a food/drink diary to do what you can with diet to address your issues. There are adult-onset food allergies as well as the stuff you would normally think about like molds in winter.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back