Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
Hello, I am a 35 year old female in good overall health and very concerned about some symptoms which began about three months ago. I started having a feeling of “tightness” in my throat/esophagus and trouble swallowing. It feels as though it’s harder to bring food back and down, and specifically initiating a swallow. Sometimes I am eating and have food sitting at the back of my mouth and I try to swallow and nothing happens - I have to concentrate and wait a few seconds and then I can usually get it down. I can feel good traveling down my esophagus and it feels tight. I also have a feeling of burning in my tongue (mostly the sides) and the muscle under my chin and down the front of my neck feels worn out/tired. I am swallowing liquids without a problem. I also have a lot of mucus in my throat but no nasal congestion. I have had excess mucus/saliva in my mouth as well and sometimes have to spit it out. I know that reflux can cause some of these symptoms, but my understanding is that it wouldn’t contribute to a problem initiating a swallow and that is more of a neurological issue. It has not gone away and seems to be getting worse. I have not had any slurring or speech issues. Does this sound like early bulbar symptoms? Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer!

Doesn't sound at all like bulbar ALS - what did your doctor say?

There's a ring of muscles in your throat that opens and closes when you eat.
When you are feeling anxious (anxiety), this ring of muscles can become
tense. This tension can feel like food is stuck in your throat or that your
throat is tight but not so much with liquids.

*I knew a lady who had a choking reaction to high sulfate content, like in many
wines and processed foods. This started when she was in her late 30s. Like you
she had no issues with speech.

There are many reasons for your symptoms beyond ALS.

Work with your doctors…

Thank you for the replies! I saw my pcp who referred me to an ENT. She did a scope exam which was normal. She prescribed omeprazole to see if it could be because of reflux, which hasn’t made a difference in the three weeks I’ve been taking it. I will follow up with my pcp, it’s just hard to wait and worry in the meantime.

Great that you are seeking medical advice. Remember, worrying at this stage is like being certain you have a brain tumour because you get some headaches.
Let us know once you have a diagnosis as it helps others that come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back