Aussie40

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
Hi and my sincere appreciation for reading my post and responding,

Two weeks ago after spending a few minutes using a jump rope for the first time in a while, my thigh began twitching non-stop for 4 days. I don't generally experience muscle twitches so I noticed this. Around the same time, it felt a little odd to walk. Not painful but my knee felt a bit strange and like I was having to accommodate this when walking. I figured that I likely injured something with the jumping, my family did not notice any difference in my walk so I haven't given this too much thought. The odd feeling is still there 2 weeks later but perhaps improving slightly. I am not stumbling or tripping. I mention this only in case relevant to the below.

Last night while eating and drinking, I had the most awful and panic inducing sensation that I just could not swallow at all. It lasted a few seconds and then I was able to resume eating and drinking normally. However I kept thinking about what had happened and 'testing' my swallowing and it did happen a couple more times where I was unable to swallow at will at all. I don't mean choking or regurgitation, just that my swallow reflex didn't want to work at all for a moment. This morning I uneventfully had my coffee and had lunch also without incident but then later in the afternoon (admittedly after recalling the awful sensation of the previous night), I again experienced a feeling of complete inability to swallow 2 or 3 times.

Of course, Google is not my friend but I'm extremely grateful for any input you can provide. If this continues, I will certainly make an appointment to see my doctor.

Many thanks for your time and help.

ETA: The last few days I've had an on and off "fuzzy" (not painful) feeling in my throat which I've dismissed as nothing but just adding here in case relevant. Thank you!

I don't see a question here, nevertheless, what you list is not ALS onset. Your perceived symptoms are all over your body and that's not how ALS manifests. Before jumping straight to having one of the most rare diseases on earth, you should always go to your doctor first instead of going to Google and forums for terminally ill folks. Doing that will ensure that you don't stress yourself out needlessly. Again, you don't list ALS issues.

Good luck to you and take good care

Thank you so much for your response, it is greatly appreciated. I did not believe my leg issue was related but mentioned it in case for full facts! The occasional seemingly random complete inability to swallow which started so suddenly last night is what sent me down the dreaded google path. Is this how ALS might initially present? Or is it not normally a total failure of reflex? And would all swallowing be similarly affected?

Again, sincere thanks for your time.

(Ps- you are spot on about jumping to the worst outcome. I had an extremely rare disease for many years which certainly hasn’t helped!)

As I mentioned, no to your queries about ALS onset. You don't display any signs, so asking about intricate details of this horrific disease is moot. Please bring your questions to your GP. You do not need to be here and that is a great thing.

Take good care.

The FIRST thing you do when concerned about your health is see a doctor, not the internet. This is never a substitute for medical examination and advice.
All the best working with a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back