Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
City
Glasgow
Mod note- this user has been banned for multi id. Anxiety help is recommended as this is inappropriate behaviour.

Good evening
First of all thank you to all the supporters on this forum you guys are amazing people.
I have followed the forum for a while now and looking for advice.
I am a 30 year old male and I have had swallowing issues for almost 2 years now where I constantly feel like my throat is tight when swallowing even although I don’t have any choking or issues with generating a swallow.
I have had no choking however I have been coughing for months and constantly blocked up in the nasal area. When coughing I tend to bring up clear phlegm.
After consulting my GP they listened to my chest and advised it sounded clear and they then thought it may be a post nasal drip or allergies (I don’t have any allergies that I’m aware of) I have tried many nasal sprays and antihistamines which have not cleared this issue up. I do tend to get acid reflux and have put on weight over the last 18 months.
I worry that this may be a swallowing issue with aspiration leading to Bulbar onset.
Does any of this sound like ALS? Symptoms haven’t changed much in 2 years except the cough has came over the last 9/10 weeks.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Many people with bulbar ALS are dead within 2 years of onset. In fact on bulbar diagnosis they are often given a 2 year life expectancy unlike the 3-5 limb onset get from their doctors

ALS is a progressive disease so staying the same for 2 years argues even more strongly against it.

nor does “ feeling tight” align with bulbar symptoms reported by my family and friends.

ALS is about failure which you don’t report

of course you should continue to work with your doctor but I strongly suggest you stop googling and put ALS out of your mind

What did your doctor say when you asked if these things sound like ALS?
I'm guessing they said what I will say - that's simply not how bulbar ALS begins.
I think you know this really, after 2 years you have no actual swallow or speech issues.
All the best.

Thank you for your replies. When discussing with my doctor is was pretty much ignored or not considered by their end. However I am sure if it was a general concern then I would of been referred to a neurologist.
I think just with the coughing and clear phlegm made me worry that I may have been starting aspirate rather than accepting it is more likely to be a post nasal drip or something reflux related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back