Swallowing and pain behind the sternum.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

4rhl1981

Distinguished member
Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
OHIO
City
Wickliffe
has anyone had pain when eating immediately while swallowing solid foods that goes away right after swallowing it, the pain is behind the sternum area slightly to the right, it a sharp but not burning pain?
thanks

Not exactly how you describe, but I do have discomfort in the area mostly between the shoulder blades. There is a problem with my upper esophagus emptying into my stomach, and was told by the doctors that only things to be done for me would be changing the consistency of foods and liquids, and some posture maneuvering to help move food down if it continues to progress in severity.... I absolutely cannot lay down, or even recline for a good while after I eat anything.

Maybe if you experimented to see if the type of food would have a different reaction for you. Yogurt, pudding, nectar consistencies are best for me, I never notice problems with these....

A gastro doctor would be helpful to you. :)

Last edited:
Yes, I've had that exact sensation every now and then for many years. I don't think it's connected to either heart problems or ALS. It's just something weird that goes away instantly ...

... I just read what Beth replied with, and thought I should clarify that I don't have a sharp pain, its just dull and uncomfortable, and eventually gets better ,sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometime closer to 15 or 20.... (or more ) It doesn't happen with everything I eat either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back