Diagnosis
10/2007
Country
US
State
michigan
City
rothbury
When I went to church today I met a woman who's mothers maiden name was the same as my husbands. Suprise! I found out that she was my father-in-laws cousin and she died from ALS. Suprise! When my daughter went to the neurologist he asked her if there was anyone in the family other than my husband who had ALS and she said
no so he said he didn't think her symptoms were from ALS even though the emg showed nerve damage. Since my father-in-law and his father both died at age 48 I wonder if it is inherited.

Judylyne,

It is a very small world.
You lost me with the part about your daughter, is she having symtoms as well.
Did they ever diagnosed her with anything? Is she still having symtoms?
What did your father- in-law and his father die from?

My father-in-law and his father died from heart attacts. So did my sister-in-law at age 42. My daughter went to the neurologist because of muscle wasting and severe weakness and twitching in right arm and hand. I try not to be bitter about ALS because it could have been something else but now I have all of these things my children are prone to.

Judylyne,

Your head must be going a mile a minute. Did you say anything to her yet?
I am so sorry that your daughter is now up againt this. It is still only in her right arm and hand, Does she have anyother symtoms?

I have a similar situation with my mother and her family with lung cancer.
Her father died of lung cancer at 66, my mother at 49 and her half sister at 39. They were all smokers.
2 years ago I was having shortness of breath and asked for a CT and I had a very sm nodule in my lower right lung, I was scared to death. After 2 years it is still the same so they say it is benign. In the mean time
about 1 1/2 years ago I started with the nuero symptoms. I still don't have a diagnosed but it is progressing
and everything else has been ruled out. I worry about the same thing as you these things are in my kids genes.

Judy,
Is there no rest? I'm sorry for the fears you now have for your children.
Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is power. Hopefully, they can balance each other out.
You're in my thoughts, Judy.
Peace,
Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back