Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
US
State
FL
City
St Augustine
I'm noticing weakness in my mid section. My stomach is extended and I'm starting to hunch over when walking. Is this something anyone else has experienced and if so does a back brace or "girdle" help to straighten up posture?

I find that when I wear a neck brace I have an easier time keeping my body straight because it removes some of the gravity weight from my head.

As things progressed for me and I lost my core muscles I got to experience an expanding/over sized gut. Quad gut is a term I heard. I guess I'm too vain, but I had never had big belly before ALS and to this day I absolutely hate it! I always wondered if I had started wearing some sort of core support if I could have reduced the extended middle. The thought of a girdle crossed my mind, but I figured the restriction of movement associated with it would have made my already compromised breathing even more difficult. Then there was the issue of having something tight against my skin around my core that sounded like a recipe for itching and breakouts, which was the last thing I wanted, especially as the ability to itch myself was becoming impossible. Hope that doesn't sound too negative. Perhaps in your case the issues will be different and some kind of core support would help. I did try tying something around but immediately found my weak diaphragm didn't want the extra work. - goodbye luck, Jim

Mike C, I’m having the same problems. My belly muscles are almost gone as are a lot of my back muscles. I have a lot of backaches and neck strain. I can only stand up straight for a very short time now. My physical therapist didn’t think a brace would be beneficial. I may ask her about a neck support as Nona suggested. Wishing you the best.
Tammy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back