Not open for further replies.

Cbz16

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
Hi there, my names Christian and I am 25 years old. I’m so scared I have ALS. Here are some symptoms that I’ve been having. I’m leaving for a trip to Europe really soon and I don’t know what I can do before that to get checked. Anyways:

I originally thought that I might have Bulbar onset because my voice “sounded different” but over the next couple days after I noticed that it kind of sounds normal now. Regardless since then, over the last week or so, I’ve noticed that my chest constantly feels like there is pressure in it.. kind of like someone is pressing down on my chest. Sometimes i can get a full deep breath in and other times I can’t and have to force myself to yawn to get a full breath. Besides this symptom I’ve been having twitching everywhere: my eye, calf, arms, jaw, trunk near my stomach area, bottom of my feet ETC. alongside these symptoms
I’ve recently noticed in the last 5-6 days I’ve had hiccups a couple times a day, I’d say maybe 6-7 times. They kind of happen when I breathe in or Burp a bit but they happen through out the day randomly. With the twitching, hiccups, feeling of pressure in my chest and like I can’t always get a deep breath I feel like I might have the respiratory onset ALS, or some form of ALS at least. I’m just really scared and don’t know what to do

There is absolutely no reason to think that, Christian. But I would try to at least do a telehealth appointment before you fly, in case you have an infection or something that flying might affect. I would also self-test for Covid. You could also be swallowing air when you sleep or having some other sleep problem, and those are more common when you're stressed or eating too close to sleep.

But respiratory onset ALS (or any other kind) does not present as you have described, even before we consider how rare ALS is in your age group.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you very much for your reply. I guess the reason I was so worried was that online it says that respiratory onset is marked by body wide Fasciculations and chest issues like tightness and "dyspnea". Ive also read on some of the threads that people who were diagnosed experienced "diaphragm spasms" so I thought my hiccups daily were weird as well. Again I appreciate your reply.

Absolutely no reason - always see a doctor if you have a health concern, explain your symptoms, tell them your concerns of what you have read online and then you can receive feedback on what they find on clinical examination.
Enjoy your trip, but don't think ALS again even for a moment.

Hi there. I am very scared

I’m extremely worried about bulbar ALS. I’m sorry to anyone going through this disease and don’t mean to come off as annoying.

I’ll keep it brief, but recently, over the last 2 weeks I had this issue where whenever I’d eat food alone or drink liquid alone I would be fine. But when I combined them together I would get this feeling if it getting stuck at the base of my throat but it went down fine anyways. Fast forward and that went away and I don’t feel that sensation anymore. NOW I’ve had issues swallowing liquids… it feels like my throat gets tired after chugging a glass of water, but it comes and goes… sometimes it seems impossible but goes down anyways and sometimes it’s fine. I realize this is probably not a sign of ALS but I’m still very worried. Additionally over the last 2-3 days I’ve had mucus constantly in my chest and throat and have to cough it up. No plegm comes out but I can feel the mucus rattling around in my chest and throat and it makes a weird sound. THIS coupled with the trouble swallowing liquids makes me really think it’s Bulbar onset ALS. i fear that it’s aspiration pneumonia or aspiration causes by dysphasia causing the mucus to build up or something like that….. I would really appreciate an opinion as this has been really ruining my life lately …

Thank you

Please go speak to someone about your health anxiety. You're asking terminally ill folks and their caregivers to handhold your nosophobia disorder. How do you think that comes across? You have absolutely no ALS symptoms, so it's best you log off this site (for your own mental well-being) and seek answers from your doctor.

Best of luck to you and take good care

Hi Christian-

Your previous thread was still open, so I have moved your post there to keep everything together.

Your first step is to see a doctor, as was recommended 2 months ago. Have you done so? Until you have an exam, you are speculating based on fears and internet sleuthing- neither of which will help you with actually figuring out what might be wrong. You can not use this forum in place of actual medical attention, nor can you use it as a way to scratch the reassurance itch every time your fears get the better of you.

The people here simply don't have the capacity to help you in the way you are looking for. Please see your doctor before posting here again.

No I havent seen a doctor as I can’t seem to get an appointment. I wasn’t really hoping for a diagnosis or anything but just wondering if based off peoples experiences with the disease, it sounds familiar or similar to what they experienced. the chest congestion and swallowing stuff etc. I’m sorry if I offended anyone or came off as annoying.

Please do not post til you have seen a doctor.

Definitely, you have been posting for several months and not seen a doctor.
You need to do that and let us know what they said. We are never a replacement for medical examination and diagnosis.
Don't apologise, just go see a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back