Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
MA
City
Pioneer Valley
Hello again friends. Tonight's problem - mom sleeps downstairs, caretakers sleep upstairs. 'Til now we've relied on a baby monitor plus a dinner bell she rings when she needs help in the night. But can anyone think of a good solution when she can't get to, or ring, the dinner bell? She can no longer speak intelligibly and will be managing whatever the solution is in a dark bedroom, when she's groggy. She also has FTD.

Do you think you could get her to use a battery operated doorbell? It could be velcroed to a place she could reach so that she could use whatever she can still move to push the button. A cALS sent me a dog push button device (Pet Paw Chime) that was supposed to train dogs to push the button instead of claw the door to go in or out. It worked well, when my husband would use it. There were two options, a dog bark and a doorbell sound.

Good luck with any solution. With FTD, its difficult to know if anything will work.

Thats what I have, a battery operated doorbell with two controls. It works great my caretaker carries it with her all the time even outside.

Yes. A battery operated doorbell works very well.

I have multiple buttons for my doorbell that plugs into an outlet int hallway outside my CALS's bedroom.
I have trouble turning over in bed so I have one velcroed to the bed rail on each side. (also sleep with my cell phone under my pillow. There's a button by the commode and we even velcroed one to the PWC.
We also plugged both bedside lamPs into an outlet that has a remote control. The remote hangs on the "traPese" over my bed. I love being able to read in bed again!
They're available at any big box home improvement store.

Also, if the little doorbell button gets to be too small or hard to operate, you can add a mono jack from Radioshack to be able to plug in those real easy to push jellybean type of switch. I would think any electronic repair place could do it if you don't have a friend that can solder.

we've got the doorbell too, but the button is on the bottom of his PWC where he can touch it with his foot(no hand or arm use). I cant figure out how to do it in the bed though....

How about the new video baby monitors? My friend uses one for her baby and can see her all the time.

We used a doorbell on the foot board of the bed (my husband lost the use of his upper body first). When he could no longer move his feet, we set the Dynavox up so that he could blink and turn on the siren.

you try putting the button piece between his knees or thighs? my sis keeps hers there to call someone at night

miss, how did you set up the dynovox so that light on the dynovox would come on for it to pick up the blink or did it stay on all the time lit up while sleeping? thanks. warrior

Better shift your care giver to the nearest room to your because even if you have a baby
monitor placed at your mother's room you cannot rely on it. If the care giver is close to
she/he can keep an eye on your mom.

we also used the doorbell method until my hands stopped working.
Now, I have someone within voice distance all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back