Summer and Bugs Is Bug Guard OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

wewillbeatthis

Distinguished member
Hello Everyone,

I would like to ask about some saftey with products and ALS

WE are going to many picnics this weeked and want to ask what some of you use as far as Repellent agains Mosquitoes and Deer ticks?

I was going to order dad the new Bug Guard Plus from Avon it says it pertains Picaridin as well as all other bug repellent ing. is this safe?

Then also dad has very dry skin and patches from scraching all over. Any reccomindation on a cream?

We tried coco butter, Avenno and they seem to do nothing at all for him...

Sorry if these are stupid questions I just want to make sure that using things of this nature that must go into your blood stream are safe for him.

Thanks for any response...

Jen

Jen,

Insect repellents containing DEET are the most effective; however, I think there has been a general consensus that DEET may not be the best thing to be applying to our skins.

Will it adversely affect someone who has ALS? Who knows - but if you want to avoid putting potentially harmful substances on your skin - you may want to avoid DEET.

Citronella is a plant which has mosquito repellent qualities - you can get citronella based insect repellents. Probably not as effective as DEET - but natural.

For dry skin - dry natural aloe vera. Not the stuff you buy in most pharmacies which is primarily alcohol - but all natural aloe vera.

Good luck!

Richard

Cetaphil Moisturising lotion works for the dry spots for me. As for bug repellent Amway D15 is the best I've found. It's a non greasy spray with very low odor and I figure which is worse? West Nile now or three ears growing out of my forehead 20 years from now. And for any that might be concerned this is in no way an advert for Amway. I do not sell it I just use it. My wife uses a Lac Hydrin cream for dry spots but she has really dry skin and you have to ask the pharmacist for it.

rcharlton said:
Jen,

For dry skin - dry natural aloe vera.

Should be "try natural aloe vera"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back