Reason
Other
Country
IN
State
Delhi
City
Delhi
Hi everyone , I would like to thank you in advance for answering my questions.
It all started 6 months back , a twitch in thigh that moved throughout the body within two weeks. Every part of my body twitches but mostly they happen in thighs, feet, elbow, stomach, back and sometimes in eyes. I looked up online for symptoms and you all know what I found. I have been a hypochondriac throughout my life .In fact when these twitches started I had been worrying for some other disease since six months .
I am aware of all the symptoms ALS causes so I started looking for them . Strength exercises, checking for reflexes, checking the tongue and the list goes on.
In the beginning I went to a neuro and he checked my reflexes and said they were brisk. I was again worried , I went to a different neuro two weeks after the first neuro and she did some strength tests and said all is fine. I went to a third neuro and just considering my age he said ALS doesn't happen in this age (I am 25 / male/ India). Now fast forward to present my symptoms are as follows.
I have weakness of right hand. The strength in index finger of right hand is less comapred to left( I am right handed) , it is in the extensor mucles , however I can open a jar, do push ups on finger tips etc,( but I do get a perceived feeling of weakness). I think that my thumbpad muscle of my right hand is small compared to left (atrophy?). The right thumb feels weak too, if icput pressure from it forctoo long it gets fatigued very easily but my right thumb has limited mobility as compared to left because of an injury that happend in childhood.
I also have small bicep mucle on my right hand( the girth of both hands is equal but the bicep muscle of right hand is definitely smaller(I can do dumbells weighing 40 pounds with both hands - more reps from right side.
I also have weakness in the right upper back ,right shoulder but I can raise 40 poind dumbells with both shoulder and do equal reps. My right shoulder gets fatigued when talking on phone .
The most important symptom, I think I have slurred speech. If I talk slowly I can make the words clearly but when I speak fast I stumble over certain words if I try to repeat them fast I again stumble, I usually get it right in the 3rd or 4th time. However if I speak slowly I can prounce them just right .
I go out of breath after talking and have to take a deep breath.
I have difficulty initiating swallow(I think I have)., however I haven't choked on any liquid but I do feel that sometimes the liquid is entering my nasal cavity .
When I flick on tongue I can make it twitch ( I also have noticed that when I stick out my tongue it twitches a lot, I don't know whether it's trembling or twitching ). Also, my left side of tongue is weaker compared to my right , I can make certain positions with my right side of tongue that I can't with left side. Can this be normal? By birth ?.
I can also induce twitching by flicking on my feet and elbows.
Regarding Babinski, my right foot doesn't go up or down, this has been same since 6 months. My left one goes down.

Also my twitching is not 24*7 . The muscle twitches then stops and then it may not twitch for several hours. Also they just do one pop, not the continuous ripple effect.

Please answer my worries . I know what most of the people on this forum arecgoing through. I respect you guys a lot because you are still helping others. That's a big thing.

Regards,
Nishant

I can push my both cheeks with tongue and can move the tongue left,right easily.

Nishant,

I'm glad you noticed that your symptoms are similar to the Canadian in the other thread. Please read my response to him. I don't see any reason for you to worry about ALS, but you should certainly be evaluated for your slurring speech and your hand tremors. "Numbness is your hands and legs during sleep" would not be a symptom of new ALS.

You're very young to have ALS. But there are other conditions that might be causing your symptoms. I can't diagnose you because I'm not a doctor, but I really don't think you need to worry about ALS.

--Mike

Mike,
Thank you for the reply , the slurring is not noticed by others but I can for sure feel that I have to make a lot of effort so that the words come out clear. I can dent my cheeks fine. The only condition that can mimic my case would be MG but it starts with droopy eyelids and doesn't cause fasciculations. Also it isn't assymetrical. One more thing I would like to point out is that I had some weird symptoms for 6 months before all this started : mild fevers in evening, chronic tonsilitis( I still have it) , severe disabling depression, fatigue and some lymph node swelling in my neck. But I doubt its related , when those fevers subsided this began , the depressin continues . I am lost.

Mike,
Thank you for the reply , the slurring is not noticed by others but I can for sure feel that I have to make a lot of effort so that the words come out clear. I can dent my cheeks fine. The only condition that can mimic my case would be MG but it starts with droopy eyelids and doesn't cause fasciculations. Also it isn't assymetrical. One more thing I would like to point out is that I had some weird symptoms for 6 months before all this started : mild fevers in evening, chronic tonsilitis( I still have it) , severe disabling depression, fatigue and some lymph node swelling in my neck. But I doubt its related , when those fevers subsided this began , the depressin continues . I am lost.

Blade, you wrote: "The only condition that can mimic my case would be MG."
That's a bold statement from someone without years of specialized experience as a neurologist!

To answer you specifically: In ALS, slurring is very noticeable to others because the tongue has paralyzed muscles.
You point out "weird symptoms" and say you doubt it's related. I agree.

You went to three neuros and, it appears, none of them told you they saw a neurological problem. I believe them.

I understand that you are lost. But if your neuros didn't see ALS, you will continue to be lost if you stay here. I recommend you see a GP doctor, instead of a neurologist. GP's are trained and experienced to lead the investigation on these matters, and will direct you to whatever specialty is logically needed.

Again, thanks Mike. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back