Diagnosis
12/2019
Country
US
State
PA
City
Markleton
So has anyone had a significant change in strength. I woke up 2 days ago with a lot more leg and body fatigue. To the point of not having much strength to step down on steps and straining leg muscles during the day. My legs seam to be twitching and jumping more than normal. I thought by resting the day would help but 2 days now and seams to be a new normal. I have PMA but possible ALS. Is this a normal progression?

Everyone has different progression. The rate is not linear. Sometimes changes can be sudden, other times more gradual. I’m sorry you are experiencing this. I remember feeling startled one day when I realized it was no longer safe for me to go down stairs.

Make sure you stay safe. It’s best to try to anticipate changes (if you can) and make sure you have adaptive equipment available such as a rollator walker. Unfortunately most PALS need to do some degree of remodeling to find a way around stairs (such as ramps).

I lose function on approximately a 6 week schedule. Meaning, I feel mostly the same, then a drop. After a couple of days, I occasionally feel slightly better, but never get close to the previous point...

what Karen said. Also I have a lot of spasticity which can mask weakness. When my meds change to address the spasticity I sometimes notice sudden weakness.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me with my concerns. I really appreciate it.

i notice when I don't eat enough or the right kind of food, ie healthy food, I get weak. Its funny but I always felt stronger after eating fish, specifically salmon.

if I over do anything, and it is hard to know what is too much at first, it can take several days to recoup.

I found a direct correlation to the amount of carbs I eat and fasciculations. Trixie, I also find when I eat salmon and other oily fish I feel better.

If I walk too much I hurt and find it hard to get up the next day. I guess it's fatigue.

Strange how everyone has a different experience with this.

My husband crumples to the floor when he has done too much. All muscles get tired and legs feel like jelly then they give out and he falls. He also gets internal ‘shakes’ is how he describes it. Walking any distance is now challenging. Causes a lot of fatigue as well the next day. It’s very hard to gauge how much is too much until he’s usually done too much. Thanks for the info about the oily fish and potential benefits.

Weakness and fatigue go together. If you’re pushing yourself too hard it can take a day or two to recover. That’s pretty easy to do in the beginning before you learn to save energy for the most important stuff.

have those of you who see benefit from oily fish tried fish oil supplements?

I have had both the experience of doing too much and requiring days to a couple of weeks to recover to baseline and the experience of pushing too hard and losing a function apparently forever. The long recovery events were anxious times wondering if they were new normals

I also take high-quality fish oil daily and have been for about four years.

i used to take the suppliment but found not all suppliments worked. The one that did was a thick liquid and I can't take it anymore, it clogs up my throat.
but I found nothing made me feel as good as a actual piece of fish

I also find if I get to hot i feel weaker, even if I don't feel hot. If that makes sense, its the same as not knowing how much activity is to much , until I've done to much. When I feel weak I put a fan on

Thanks for the heads up about oily fish. I love salmon so I’m going to add more of that to my diet.
Tammy

For people on feeding tubes, salmon can be pureed in a Vitamix with liquid. Also consider sardines.

Definitely will ask my husband to get salmon more often, thanks for the info. I had my first scary crumpling fall last week, transferring from power chair to toilet. So I guess that counts as sudden weakness. Wrenched both knees and one ankle, which are all a bit better every day. But the new normal is no more toileting alone, which is a hard adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back