Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
IND
State
Delhi
City
Delhi
Hi, I am Vivek. My age is 23. Since 1 and half month, I am experiencing speech problem. Before that i was very fluent. When i speak in flow, i tend to substitute sounds(any sound), stumble,mispronounce words. I cant communicate fluently while talking even if i am talking in my mother tongue. I don't have much problem when i read but when i talk to others i face this problem. Even when i try to talk to myself , i face same problem.

I never had this problem in childhood. Even my family members don't have this problem. I have given many public presentations as well but how this problem has suddenly developed.

What could be the reason ? I am really very tensed. Should I go for MRI/EMG scan ?

Is this ALS or any other speech disorder. ?

I UNDERSTAND. My dad had Bulbar Palsy. ABout a year and a half ago I started to lose my speech, like words would go on and off, or like in and out while talking or singing in the car, break up when talking. I finally after six months went to my Ear, Nose and throat Dr, he knew my dad and knew why I was worried, this is how my dad started with the bulbar pasly. He put a scope down my nose(don't hurt, numb) and looked at my voice box. Come to find out I had GURD, acid reflux ( i did not even know I had, no heartburn or systoms at all) this was messing with my voice box, and i had imflamation in my voice box from a cold 6 months before. He put me on OTC Zantac. It make the acid go away, so the imflamation could disappear. So it could be something very minor. I was so happy I sat there and cried, the Dr. who is the best totally understood where I was coming from. like I said he knew my dad and my worries. So don't worry, it could be something very minor.

See your GP and discuss your issues. Your GP can then guide you on the next steps to take depending on his/her findings.

Vivek,

How in the world did you come to the conclusion that you may have ALS? Just because you are losing your voice at times? Has anyone mentioned your speech or are you perceiving this problem? If you only have speech problems, then I would go to your PCP and have it checked out. I agree with Tammy, it could be GERD, an easy "fix". But your doctor could evaluate you for this.

I would also stop using the in ter net and Dr. Go og le to look up symptoms. Before long, you unknowingly, will have every symptom of ALS. Please do not do that to yourself. You're young and the chances of having this disease is very, very slim. Do yourself a favor, just turn it off and make an appointment with your PCP.

Good Luck to You,

Aaaggh, my post went to moderators. It will show up soon. Long story short., I don't think you need to worry! Good Luck,

Thanks for reply. I know ALS is much more severe. Is it possible that it may be Dysarthria or any other speech disorder. ?The main problem is that i am commiting many errors than before while speaking. Even when i think in mind, i make mistake(internally without saying). I have more confusion with the t,th, s,sh sounds. It developed suddenly. Now my confidence have gone down.

When i hear someone saying anything, i think "Can i say that sentence in one go" , "Is it difficult to say". I try to say that sentence.

When i hear my professor delivering a lecture on "Software Engineering" i think "how can she be so fluent" even though its normal. I have attended her lectures in previous semester i never thought like this before. Even when someone else is speaking in public, i think "why can't i speak so well"

I never had any fear of public speaking and have delivered many speeches confidently. I was very good at it before. Since 1 and half month things have changed. Now even when i talk to myself, my family members, friends i make mistakes. Many a times, i cannot say a particular word in one go. I stumble, and then say it again.

I know speech errors are common. Everyone does it, but the intensity in my case in high since 1 and half month.

One more thing, When i read something i don't commit many errors. I face more problem while communicating.

Even when i think in mind, i make mistake(internally without saying). I have more confusion with the t,th, s,sh sounds. It developed suddenly. Now my confidence have gone down.

This sounds more psychological than physical.

I dont think its psychological. I don't think much about it. I try to talk normally but errors do happen. Sometimes(rarely) i even replace a similar sounding word with other. I feel as if i have less control over my tongue. Others are not able to notice much.

I just want to ask few things:-

What are the possible reasons of my speech problem ?

If it is something related to brain, can it be cured/healed ?

I am going to fix an appointment with the doctor next month after my semester exam ends.

Btw, Which testing is appropriate ? EMG/MRI or any other.

Vivek,

Start with your GP or PCP. You could set up the appointment now for next month. Explain your symptoms and let the doctor decide what tests, if any, and any consultations.

Remember, we are not doctors here and can only give you are opinion based on our experiences. My suggestion to you and I believe was still has not changed. Make your appointment, use the computer for school work, don't goo looking for trouble (self diagnosing) and enjoy the next month. If and only if, you have been actually diagnosed or have actual tests results, would you need to post.

Good Luck to you,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back