Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you had your thyroid function tested? Hyperthyroid can cause anxiety and racing heart. A thyroid nodule can give the stuck-in-the-throat feeling. Have they done a test for myasthenia gravis? Facial presentaion with muscle issue suggest it might be asking why you have gotten it or why havent you gotten it.

Just a few ideas.

This newest symptom is scaring me - I am seeing psychiatrist to get help with my anxiety - but when I contract my leg muscles - upper legs - I am seeing fasciculations and the muscle cannot seem to hold the contractions. I noticed it on one leg probably a few weeks ago and now on the other leg just now

"I noticed it on one leg probably a few weeks ago"

Do you mean that it happened a few weeks ago, then went away? ALS never goes away.

No, it has been doing that consistently on that leg in one area

No, it has been doing that consistently on that leg in one area

Ahurlbut, I don't think there is anything more that we can do to help you at this time. You need to follow up with a medical doctor, preferably an Internist or Internal Medicine doctor.

But what about contraction fasiculations? Is it possible for it to start like this? I have them in several leg muscles quads and calves and they ripple and contract on their own when I contract my muscles

See a GP medical doctor.

I will but by saying that are you saying that you don't think something like his is ALS?

I read that fasiculations with contraction mean motor neuron problem

Don't believe everything you read. If it were true then neurologists would ask us to do this as part of their clinical exam. They do not. Mostly they do not seem to care about twitching but when they look for it they usually just watch as we sit quietly

All of the doctors you've seen, and all of the people here who responded to you have told you that you don't have ALS.

You might have a solid case of obsessive behavior--the inability to let go of something. Go see your doctor.

I spoke with my neurologist today and we discussed the possibility of doing an EMG because of the abnormal muscle movements I am having in a few leg muscles when they are contracted. I have not had any objective clinical findings - normal neurological exam except brisk reflexes but they haven't seemed interested in or concerned about those...it's very strange what my muscles are doing, like they are struggling to maintain the contraction and the muscle looks like it is jumping around.

The neurologist has seen this and says it is not a fasciculation. But it is something. And no one seems to know what it is. So I have an EMG scheduled for Thursday but am very nervous. I am worried about false positives and what that would do to my already sky high health anxiety over this (though I am addressing that with good support now)...and I don't quite understand how, if these movements with contraction show up on the EMG, they can tell the difference between something else (pinched nerve, etc. and ALS)...I cannot imagine that these muscle movements would not show up on an EMG. I need to know what is causing them...and I still have a good amount of twitching.

Any advice on whether to go through with the EMG in my scenario? Prior to these muscle movements with contraction the neurologists had not even brought up the idea of EMG because of no clinical findings, and they were worried about a false positive and the effects that would have on me. It was a different neuro who ordered the EMG very quickly, saying why not just rule out ALS (because he was certain I did not have it...but also didn't know what my muscles were doing)

One of your posts said that a neurologist examined you and said "You do not have MS or ALS."
It would be foolish of me--on the Internet--to say otherwise.

Now you've got an EMG scheduled.
I can't imagine anyone would suggest canceling the appointment.

So it seems to me that you should keep your appointments, follow your doctor's advice, and chase down whatever the problem is.

Yes, I suppose maybe it is time to do the EMG. My regular neuro said he would not have ordered this because of no fact that my neuro exam is normal and they didn't want to introduce a false positive and worried about the subjective interpretation of results.

I saw this other neuro because a Lyme doc that I saw recommended him for explaining the neuro side of Lyme... And it was clear that he orders EMGs without a second thought. Very quick to do it whereas my regular neuro is more conservative and trusting the exam and my history. So I guess my question is more about the way the EMG works. If I have twitches throughout my legs and abnormal
Muscle movements with contraction , I imagine I will not have a clean EMG, and I wonder if I will be left just being terrified all over again without definitive info from the EMG about what is actually going on...how specific are the EMGs as far as identifying why something is abnormal?

That is a very complicated question. Many things can turn up on an EMG If only fasciculations were seen for example that would be considered essentially normal. Then there can be findings that are not normal but clearly not ALS. There can be mild findings that probably do not mean anything and these often drive our dihals visitors to extreme anxiety. Then there can be findings that are similar to ALS but in a pattern that indicates a pinched nerve. There can be findings that are concerning for ALS but need to be followed and then there can be findings consistent with ALS. All so called dirty EMGS are not ALS or worrisome for it. If the doctor doing the EMG is the neuro who ordered it he should explain any findings after the exam. I am somewhat concerned that this neuro was recommended by the " Lyme doc" as I do not trust So called LLMDs. IF anything is found I would definitely consult the original neuro before acting on any recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back