Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I would like to thank each and every one of you for taking precious time out of your day; Dr. Google leads to so much confusion, and even more anxiety. I read the forum's common concerns thread but I am just looking for clarification. Does ALS only present with clinical weakness, or can PALS notice muscular fatiguability or subjective weakness before clinical weakness? I know from a diagnosis standpoint, clinical weakness is required, but as a precursor, are their signs leading up to muscular failure/weakness? Is this different with respiratory onset? For example, if someone with respiratory onset presents with shortness of breath, do muscles become fatigued as the disease progresses before clinical weakness is present? Do people with respiratory onset have clean EMGs if shortness of breath is the only presenting symptom? Thank you all so much again.

As you can appreciate, we don't give chapter and verse to the worried well. However, the precursors you mention are not a diagnostic consideration and the universe of what can cause perceived fatigue is far larger than the rarity that is ALS. If you read the threads here, you will see that there is functional impairment or not.

Respiratory onset would be seen on an EMG and in pulmonary function testing.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your time and response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back