Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
UK
State
Isle of Wight
City
Freshwater
Hi everyone! I am Gary diagnosed last January, and thankyou all so much for just being there, I've not posted before to avoid repetition as many threads answer my questions. My walking difficulties caused my first fall the other night, was in dressing gown because we were fixing to go to bed , ambulance were marvellous in getting me up off the floor, we were all in fits of laughter because my arse had stuck to the laminate floor. I wonder if I can ask a question - recently my right foot has started swelling up by late afternoon, gone down by the morning though. Multiple possible causes I know, but my question is , is this another symptom of ALS ? Regards Gary

Welcome, Gary. I love your sense of humor---it will help a LOT!! Swelling in the feet, ankles, legs is common once you stop walking. It's hounds like you may still be walking, but perhaps less than before? My husband's both swelled at the same time, so I'm out of my depth here. Perhaps someone else has experience with only one foot.

Becky

Hi Gary,

I'd get the GP to check it over, just in case!! Joints often swell if they aren't kept moving (either actively or passively) but I don't know why your foot swells. Obviously having it elevated overnight helps, so try elevating your feet during the day when you can.

Didn't you see the #1 rule?? Do not fall :razz:
Has your OT given you walking aids and/or foot braces?

Ells.

Thanks Becky , just about still walking with extreme care and a walker, balance is the biggest issue, and a swollen right foot at night destroys the last bit of foot lift, adding to the difficulties. I find it easier to walk around in circles but that doesn't help with getting anywhere. I have worn a patch out in the floor . Can always use it as a target for the next time I fall over. Thanks for your reply - regards from the Isle of Wight , U.K. ( it's raining) .

Hi Gary
I have exactly the same problem my ankle and foot on my weak leg swells during the day and goes down over night. I can only manage walking a few steps and the swelling really doesn't help balance issues. I asked my neuro about it and he felt it was circulation being reduced due to atrophy and loss of movement. It does go a rather unpleasant corned beef colour as it swells lol.

Range of movement exercises help I have a theraband to just manually move the ankle joint, but really the best solution I have found is getting someone to massage it, and keeping it elevated when you can.
Wendy X

Thank you everyone, mind at ease now, will as advised get it checked out , and will have to swallow my pride and use the foot braces , obviously falling has to be a complete no no . I am very lucky on the island in that we have the John Cheverton centre, walk in and see any of my care team inc . Consultants at any time. Regards Gary

Swelling in the ankles and legs is a circulation issue. You could try knee high compression socks if you ever get alarmed by it.

As for the falls, always tuck your head and try to have as much body surface make contact as possible, to prevent broken bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back