00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
Gold coast
Hey everyone,

First of all i would like to say thank you for allowing a discussion of this nature on this forum. I have also read the thread discussing als and it's associated symptoms. However I am just really struggling in general and would just love to hear some people's thoughts and possibly any advice (thank you in advance!)

I'm a 28 year old male currently studying pharmacy and have experienced persistent twitches or fasciculations in both my calves since April early this year. Initially, my calves both went into a random (involuntary) wave-like spasm after walking around for most of the day and ever since then there has been residual but persistent twitching in both of my calves. It is now December and the twitches are appearing in other random places throughout my body in addition to the calves (arms, thoughts, buttocks etc.). I sometimes also feel like there is a frog in the back of my throat however this is not persistent and occurs here and there. I haven't had any weakness at all, have been carrying on with daily activities with no issues, no swallowing difficulties or choking issues and no loss in muscle tone (from my perspective). I thought it might have been a magnesium deficiency but the addition of the supplement has only slightly subsided the twitching issue.

I have an appointment with a neurologist but it's not until next March and considering that's a long time until then I just needed some thoughts or reaffirmation that I'm overthinking this and that if it was anything sinister something would have happened by now (potentially).

Again thank you in advance for any thoughts or advice around this (a very worried individual).

Anyone or anything?

Sorry I missed this one. Consider "overthinking it" agreed. Widespread twitching is common and feeds on itself, but is not ALS.

Leading factors to think about at your age and in a health professions program include sleep, stress, hydration, nutrition, exercise (esp. the kind that entails static stretches, e.g. tai chi), and any substances that overtax your body, from simple sugars to street drugs.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for the replies (much appreciated). The constant twitching particularly in the calves is a nightmare. Feels likes it's 24/7- but will focus on the things you guys suggested. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back