06/2015
Country
Uni
State
OH
City
BELLEFONTAINE
Hey all.

I've been checking out this forum over the last few months. Today I was confirmed by second opinion neuro with ALS.

I had slight left-hand weakness starting in 12/2014- it has gotten worse all over my body. I'm still mobile, but stairs and walking wear me out.

I had to stop working at the auto assembly plant last week because it was too exhausting. I have applied for disability thru work. I'm also a Vet, so I will also seek help from them. (great info on this forum- thank you LORD.)

I know I have to finish this race.... please help me enjoy what I still have.

So sorry to have to welcome you to this forum but you will not find a better support system anywhere in the world :) If there are any questions you may have; if you ever need a shoulder to cry on; if you ever want to share your good days or bad days; this is the place. We are all in this together an as much as we are loved by our family and friends no one can understand exactly what we are going through except us. As long as you participate on this forum, and I suggest that you do on a regular basis, you will never be alone. Aside from the wealth of information available, you have a host of people who genuinely care about you and that will give you strength on your bad days and allow you to give others strength on your good days. You will have times when it seems impossible to find anything positive with this disease, but as you read the stories posted here and the adventures we all take, you will find that you can still have a fulfilling life if you allow yourself to.

My very best to you.

Vince

Hi Vince,
Blue&Gold... the Mountaineers. I'm a big football fan also (Buckeyes & Browns)

All people gonna die someday. I just wanna enjoy what little time I may have left and go out with some dignity. Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome & sorry, brother.

Hey GregK,

I was wondering when my avitar pic will post- do the mods have to approve it first?

Hey GregK,

I was wondering when my avitar pic will post- do the mods have to approve it first?

I'm pretty sure the avatars post immediately.

Welcome strongman. When and where did you serve?

Sorry to have to welcome you here. But you've got the right attitude and as I always say it's quality not quantity that matters.

Welcome here, Strongman. Sorry you have to be here. I am new here but can attest how much this forum and its people has helped me get through this. Here, I never feel alone.

Sorry to extend the welcome of our terribly exclusive club to you. No one wants to join it, yet here we are!

Welcome Strongman, you WILL finish this race and do it with dignity. You have a lot going for you, even though it may not feel like it right now. The VA affords you any of the best equipment that you may need, and a compensation package that will allow you to get what ever help you may need. You have a disability package at work, and can also apply for SS disability and be fast tracked through that as ALS is a terminal disease. But most importantly, I see that you have faith and our God is good, he is good all the time. Our church family has been amazing with Tim, even though he was new there, and have helped me so much. Travel now while you can, spend time with your family and friends, and get your place set up as best you can before things get really tough. Tim is never bored, with reading, bird watching, being the neighbourhood watch, and guiding me through developing our beautiful garden. Friday we are joining our friends up at a mountain lake to go fishing, if I can get the van up the road again this year. Tim has "chosen" to be happy and thankful in any circumstance that he finds himself, and he has been rewarded amazingly. We are blessed.
Again welcome.
Paulette

Welcome and sorry
As far as avatar think Mike is correct. Try again to add one

You mentioned exhaustion from walking and stairs. If you have any leg weakness get an afo ( for one or both legs) afo is ankle foot orthotic or in other words a brace. It will help preserve energy. I notice a dramatic difference when I wear mine both in ease of walking and in fatigue level as the day progresses

Last edited:
welcome strongman, this is an exclusive club and dues are high, sorry your here but you are and you will finish with dignity! i am also a vet. start the ball rolling for comp right away don't wait and be very PRO ACTIVE all things va. EWC,VAN,SAH grant etc. everything takes time to flow thru the pipeline and they all try to move along quickly but there is always something that will clog the line so you have to be on top of it all the time.looking forward to your post. semper fi ! chally

Hey all,
Thanks so much for the positive comments from people who truly understand.

I served US Army 76-80 with stint in Korea DMZ Radar unit.

I do plan on a trip with wifey to Arizona soon.

I go to my first visit with ALS clinic Ohio State University July 16.

G'day SM.
I hope the clinic is not too far from you? The drive can be as bad as a day at the doctors...
I wear an AFO and I must admit I hate the thing with a passion (in the process of getting one that's easier for me to put on one handed) but I agree with Nikki 100%...the difference it makes wearing it is amazing. And I don't fall when I wear it. Which is the best reason TO wear it.
I'm in Australia, so not totally sure of the weather situation there (except for Texas rain), but I'm hoping the weather is kind to you and your beloved when you travel to Arizona.
God bless, Janelle x

Welcome Strongman...like everyone says...sorry you have to be here...but if you have to have ALS, this is the place to be. Though we may all be progressing at different rates and with different parts of our bodies affected, we all know what it's like to hear the dreaded diagnosis. Life is still good in many ways, and we encourage and inform each other as much as we can. Go PITT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back