Learn about ALS
Country
Us
State
Colorado
City
Aurora
Hello,
My name is Mike and I'm 38 years old and I've been having some strange neurological, phiscal and psychological symtoms. I would greatly appreciate your knowledge and opinions about this situation. Ill try to keep my story as short as possible and explain as clearly as I can.
About a year and a half ago me and my wife started a new collision business. We were working crazy hours. I was wotking 15-18 hours a day 7 days a week for about a year strait. We were having a lot of isues working and living together. Between that and the stress of starting the new business I was getting really exhausted. I was feeling tired and overwhelmed all the time. I just ignored it and kept pushing along. About 4 mounths ago I started having health problems.
When this all started there was a few nights I would tremble all over like I had the chills wich went a way and hasn'thappened recently. I also have had some bowl isues like constipation and diarea wich recently has seemed to improve. When this all started I would get home from work and lay down to go to bed and my thighs would feel really tight and would twitch. I just thought it was from being tired and stressed and then I started geting twitches all over, legs , arms face, stomach and so on. This went on for a while and then towrds the end of our first year in bussines and so far the most stressful year of my life things got worse. I woke up one morning and felt like I got hit by a train. I was sweating like crazy. I've had strange electrical zap feelings in my ribs and arms, a feeling like icy hot under my skin in arms and legs some times A low grade fever and some tingling and numbness in hands and feet. My muscles feel tight and sore and my joints feel achy. I feel like i teer up easy and have had trouble focusing and remembering things. I still have twitching and muscle spasms. I have felt fatigued for mounths now no matter how much rest I get. I've been to a few drs who have done all kinds of blood test and found nothing wrong so far. My gp did a basic neurological test on me and said reflexes look normal. I have a referral to a neurologist in about 3 weeks. I sometimes feel like my fingers feel strange and slightly uncoordinated but I can still do things. I dont really feel like one limb feels weeker than another but I definitely feel week all over and not able to function like I would normally. I get worn out easily. I will say I've had some muscle twitching for about 3 years but never with the weekness and fatigue I've had lately. I would like to know if any of this sounds like it could be ALS. I've read a lot on line wich has left me confused and full of health anxiety. Dr google can really scare the hell out of you. Im very concerned and stressed about all of this. I also lost about 10lbs when this all started. I've since gained some weight back. Im not sure if my weeknes is true weekness or perceived weekness but I know the tiredness and fatigue seem real. I can still do phisical work but things just don't feel right. I have had bouts of anxiety, tiredness and dizziness for most of my life but nothing quite like this. This has been about 4 solid mounths of feeling like crap. My heart goes out to everyone here and I appreciate your feed back.

Thanks

Last edited:
I apologize for the bad spelling.

There's nothing here that says ALS. Sounds like you're run down and stressed, not suffering from a terminal disease. Did you read the "READ BEFORE POSTING" thread? Your questions are covered there.

Dr Google gives people the ingredients for anxiety driven self diagnosis.

Thank you for your response. I have read a lot and am confused about what the symptoms really are. Seems to be quite different for different people at the beginning. Im not here to offend anyone, just nervouse about it all.
Thanks for your time

Anxiety can cause a lot of abnormal symptoms but I can assure you that the symptons are not ALS. I have had a lot of health issues since my husband was diagnosed and anxiety helped to make me ill.

You should visit an anxiety forum and see a doctor who can treat you for that. Reading this forum will do you know good. Take a break, get away for a few days and slow down if you can. When I do to much and stretch my self to thin anxiety rears his ugly head.

If you has ALS the rest you are getting wouldn't make you body to get better. This disease is about loss. You admit to suffering from anxiety in the past so do what we can do by helping yourself with anxiety so you can go about living life
Not worrying about losing it. You have a cure and meds you can take but first you need to accept what it is doing to you and your future. We are bit so lucky.

Good luck. I am pulling for you!

At the top of this forum is a post titled READ BEFORE POSTING.

It is our official position, regardless of anything else you have read, please read it carefully through.

I can't imagine how exhausted you must be and all of your symptoms reflect exactly that.

ALS is not on your radar truly.

With some hard work on slowing down, eating well, learning to relax and keeping hydrated you can recover from this stress. It may take a few months however. All the best :)

I believe you are run down and extremely tired. Stress can do a lot of awful things to ones body. Please try to relax and pace yourself at work and at home. Make the best of each day and Thank God you woke up another day.

I do not believe it is ALS.

Love you Brother,

Big Rob

Since I started having these isues I have slowed down quite a bit. I now have employees doing most of the phisical work so im not working the long hours anymore. Its been this way for about 3 mounths now and Im still feeling about the same. I hope its just stress and nothing more serious. It's hard to imagine stress and anxiety could cause these kinds of symtoms for this long. It seems like no matter how much rest I get I still feel bad. Maybe its just going to take a long time to recover. I'm usually pretty tough and I rarely go do the dr but this thing is kicking my a## prety hard. I've spent thousands so far trying to figure it out and everything has come back negative except for a lyme test that had a positive hit but the dr says in that test you have to have 5 hits on the panel to know for sure so he thinks its not lyme. I am still going to a neurologist to get checked. At least for peace of mind. I've been going to a counselor and that has helped me some mentally and with anxiety but phisicaly im still struggling. Hopefully one day things will get better. Thank you all for your patience and input. I realize not all my symtoms are signs of ALS and stress or somthing else is much more likely but I guess I've scared myself by reading all the stuff on the Internet. I wish the best for everyone here and once again thank you.

Last edited:
Just to be clear - NONE of the symptoms you listed describe ALS onset. That is fantastic news for you! Keep working with your doctor to get a diagnosis of what it is. Please don't persist with adding to your stress and anxiety by lamenting about ALS it is a useless drain that will not help the stress symptoms you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back