Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
City
Los Angeles
Hello Everyone,

First. I would like to thank you for letting me ask my question. I'm 49 M. About 10 years ago I had an injury to the disks in my lumbar region.This led to burning pain, numbness, twitches and a slight electro shock feeling in my legs and feet from time-to-time. My neurologist ran several tests and that was his diagnosis.This all still bothers me, but it has not gotten worse. 3 months ago, I had extremely bad heartburn and indigestion. I was prescribed several different medications until one finally worked. Some of the side effects of these can be spasms, twitching and muscle pain. I've always seemed to have a lot of twitching in different areas throughout my life. I finally got an engegosty and colonoscopy; they both were normal, and the doctor said I most likely have GRED. I've begun to wean myself off the medication, and the stomach pain has slowly gone away enough for me to try to workout with weights again.

About 6 weeks ago, like a moron, I started to lift the way I did months back without any warmup or stretching. I began to not feel normal in my upper arm and right shoulder; it would feel heavy, tired and sore. I also would have light spasms and twitching all over the area. My right shoulder was one of the areas where I would get light spasms and twitching previously. After still not feeling normal for several days, I once again went brain dead, and exercised my shoulder with weights. It began to feel even worse.

I finally went to my GPD and he tested my arm reflexes, and a bit of my arm strength; he said both were fine. He told me it was not a nervous system disorder, but said it was damaged muscles or tendons. He sent me for PT. They tested my strength as normal, but thought I had horrible posture and was out of balance. I did the PT for a week, but all that did was to make me feel worse. And this last week the PT told me some of the muscles in my shoulder area were stiff and rigid. They were not sure exactly why. This kind of scared me. After the last intense PT, I would get a burning pain in my upper arm and forearm for a few days. I stopped the PT, but my arm feels weak and stiff and sometimes sore or burning. Almost like the muscles are wrapped with a towel tightly. When I use my computer mouse the movements make my arm and shoulder hurt a bit and it all feels unnatural. The top of the shoulder and shoulder blade occasionally hurt; same as my elbow.. I seem to have full range of motion, but the arm hurts and feels so odd, and I'm now noticing a lot more twitches and slight spasms; mostly on my right side; body and face. I'm going to see a neurologist in about a week.

I must confess that the pandemic was a huge stresser for me because of work and ongoing relationship issues. I began taking an antidepressant about the same time I hurt my arm. I looked on the internet and saw that some of these symptoms can be the same as early ALS? I'm sorry this post was so long.

Thank you all again.

Best regards,

JD

Hi JD,
I have to admit I just didn't see a single thing in what you have described that equates to ALS onset, so I'm not sure where you 'looked on the internet' and found this.
Try a really good read through this link, it is written plainly and in depth. It is often worth reading twice to really take it all in.

You will see there that PALS don't feel all these things you are reporting, they are simply amazed that their body refuses to work when it feels like it should.
I hope the neurologist gets you towards an answer, a week is not very long to wait. I would suggest you be mindful of your limitations over this coming week and ensure you eat well, rest well and just exercise moderately.
Please do let us know the outcome.

When someone mentions "intense" PT, I feel nervous that the therapist was overly ambitious, or you were, just as with the prematurely ambitious lifting. Either way, not a situation I would continue with.

I would suggest a second PT evaluation, with a different clinic. But you've given us no reason to believe that your problem is neurological; it seems musculoskeletal. I'd work your way back up more slowly, including stretching, range of motion, and bodywork that's not ballistic like lifting (tai chi, Pilates, swimming, etc.), and get more tests if you don't improve as the PT/your doc think you should.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back