Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
HI
Hello, iam a 30 year old woman from Hawaii USA. I have a unique (maybe, you guys see tons of worries every day so maybe iam not so unique after all) story and presentation. I had been twitching wide spread for a few months now and never thought anything of it because, well, we all get twitchy sometimes. I saw my GP for a regular check up and she asked me if I knew why I was twitching, surprised I said no, is it that noticeable? She said yes, and said I need to see a neurologist. I asked her what it could be and she said she didn't know but I'd want to rule out ALS. I was stunned, I didn't know anything about ALS and it certainly wasn't on my radar. She asked me if I had any other symptoms and I did notice occasionally my knees will buckle, also, I get a weird sensation before the twitches happen. I haven't seen anyone else mention this, its almost as if there's a warning of a slightly painful sensation before they pop off all over my body like a firecracker. I'm wondering if you guys would suggest pushing for an EMG at my visit. Much appreciation.

Hello-

I really think it depends on what the neurologist observes whether there's a call for an EMG or not. No sense in pushing for an EMG if clinical findings don't support it.

Please make sure to read here as well for more information about twitching and other things that bring people here worried about ALS. Hopefully your neurology appointment is soon and you will be able to ask the neuro questions about what they are observing.

Take care

If your GP is recommending a neurologist, then when you see the neurologist, s/he will decide if an EMG is warranted. I would be curious if you have had a comprehensive metabolic panel, thyroid panel, and a CBC recently. If not, it's something I'd ask your GP about.

Best,
Laurie

I actually did on that visit to my gp! Bloods and metabolic panel were normal. I'm confused whether my symptoms appear to be ALS related or not. Thank you for the reply

From what you describe, no. There are a lot of movement disorders, most fairly mild or treatable, so the odds are very much in your favor even if the neuro opts to order an EMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back