Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
NH
City
New London
Since March, I have had a puffy right ankle like many pALS. I elevate and massage and that keeps it manageable. About six weeks ago I started to wake up with numbness in my right hand, which PT has been treating as nerve impingement in my shoulder and elbow. His manipulation has helped so the numbness comes and goes. But this weekend I woke up with a puffy right hand and wrist, and now also have a raised itchy rash on my right forearm that lasts all day. All of this is right side only. I sleep on my left side so my right arm kind of dangles at night. No change in diet and I haven't been out in the sun.

I am not alarmed but it is annoying, especially because I can't scratch myself. Any theories? Is this just circulation and nerve degeneration?

It could be circulation but there could be an infection or something else secondary to it. I know you have people come in to help. Can they take your temp and feel if the area is warm? Also take a photo and email to your doctor and or nurse. With rashes a picture is definitely worth a 1000 words

Actually the VNA nurse is coming this afternoon, I'll have her check my temp, good idea. Doh

Are you taking Riluzole? I discovered I was allergic to it and had to stop taking it. I had a raised, itchy rash from it. I stopped it and it went away. Let us know what your VN says!

~Christine

I have been on Riluzole for three years and I have recently been wondering if it was causing skin sensitivity. I seem to get hive like rashes frequently. Did yours move around?

VNA said no fever and didn't say much else. I emailed my neurologist and was brushed off by him. He said to contact PCP, which will be next.

If you still have the puffy right hand and wrist, then you’ll definitely want a physician to lay eyes on it. If the main problem is a rash, then it’s going to be trial and error going off of various meds and supplements. A trial off Riluzole is a reasonable place to start.

how have you gone - did you get it looked at? is there any heat involved? I'd want it checked to be sure you don't have cellulitis starting.

thanks, it has gone down. I think it might be a delayed reaction to the velcro wristband for my medical alert button. I've worn it for a year but maybe the bacteria caught up with the heat. It's off now and my arm is better. Meanwhile, I've stopped taking Riluzole. Are there any common withdrawal symptoms?

I have been on Riluzole for three years and I have recently been wondering if it was causing skin sensitivity. I seem to get hive like rashes frequently. Did yours move around?

VNA said no fever and didn't say much else. I emailed my neurologist and was brushed off by him. He said to contact PCP, which will be next.

Hi, Nona!

Sorry for the delayed response - my rash did seem to move all over. I did not experience any type of withdraw symptoms, and the rash did go away within a day or two.

~Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back