Country
CA
State
ON
City
Oshawa
Hey there,

Male. 34 years old.

I've had some odd things happen to my body of late and decided to come here to get some insight.

I recently developed noticeable weakness in my limbs and jaw that was accompanied by an occasional strange sensation of mild tension and twitching that is particularly pronounced in my left arm. The musculature in my left arm is also noticeably smaller (both visibly and to the touch) and I'm starting to worry I might have ALS. I still have full functionality in my arm, so I'm not experiencing "failure," per se, but I do seem to tick a couple of the boxes that have thrown me into a state of panic.

Any insight into what I'm experiencing would be greatly appreciated.

Much love,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Have you visited with a doctor? The best place to start is with a physical examination to determine whether there's a neurological issue at all and to establish a baseline with regards to strength and muscle size.

I've had lots of bloodwork done (which came back fine), but with COVID-19 it's been difficult to get a lot of face-to-face time with physicians, unfortunately. I've recently been referred to an internist, but there's been no talk of a neurological exam of any kind as yet.

The internist will decide if you need to see a neurologist and if they don't then that truly answers your question.
There is certainly nothing in your reported symptoms that would worry us.

An internist's office is a fine place to get a baseline strength assessment and basic neuro exam.

As stated by others, there is no reason I would think about ALS. All of us are "uneven" in some way, and we can become less even over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back