Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaxson, let me refresh your memory with a few things you have written

("I don't need to see a neuro and with symptoms in both legs + limited dexterity in my legs he recommended stretching.")

That's from a Neurologist!

("I apologize for that just being a new dad has somehow ignited a wave of anxiety over this that I can't shake.")

You recognize it's anxiety. You are about the third or more new Dad or Mom who has posted nearly the same recently. It beginning to look like a trend here.

("I did do a stand up yoga routine Monday morning that was lots of one legged standing.")

Do you have the slightest clue that many members here struggle just to walk? Some can't. Then you write about doing one legged yoga... come on.

Please believe the EMG results if you get one. Best wishes.

Jaxson, let me refresh you memory with a few things you have written

("I don't need to see a neuro and with symptoms in both legs + limited dexterity in my legs he recommended stretching.")

That's from a Neurologist!

("I apologize for that just being a new dad has somehow ignited a wave of anxiety over this that I can't shake.")

You recognize it's anxiety. You are about the third or more new Dad or Mom who has posted nearly the same recently. It beginning to look like a trend here.

("I did do a stand up yoga routine Monday morning that was lots of one legged standing.")

Do you have the slightest clue that many members here struggle just to walk? Some can't. Then you write about doing one legged yoga... come on.

Please believe the EMG results if you get one. Best wishes.

I'm sorry Al, is was/is inappropriate for me to post that. I am very sorry. The stretching comment was from a PCP MD type but I'm sure that's just splitting hairs. Your are right, again I apologize.

Nikki..no I probably just worded it poorly.

My takeaway was that you mentioned to be careful with not making too little of the emg by brushing it off as too early. Meaning if it comes back clear to avoid brushing it off under an anxiety-based "maybe it was too soon" thought process.

I will certainly report back tomorrow morning, both legs and back at 10am.

Jaxson, I apologize for my reply above... it was too pointed, uncaring concerning your issues that are real to you.

I hope future appointments will give you the answers to the path of an anxiety free healthy life so you can enjoy life and your family.

no worries al, I can see where my posts could come off as aloof to the members of the site. I can see that you all probably get a lot of these types of questions and it probably gets old after awhile.

in a strange way being so quickly dismissed probably is more helpful for me as it gets me to see perhaps how silly it is of me to ask these questions.

If it means anything the comments have given me some level of comfort that what I feel is the most important medical test of my life tomorrow is going to be ok.

I never bought into the dr google thing but it really has had a crushing effect on me I can barely read to my kids at night without wanting to cry. I realize how ridiculous that sounds given what appears to be a complete lack of symptoms and in the presence of those who are actually suffering from the disease. I hope you'll accept my apology for that but please don't apologize to me I appreciate the "tough love".

I'm supposed to get my results after the test...Will they be able to differentiate between the twitching I'm having now (assuming they are benign) and ones that would occur with ALS?

Also, if this is related to a pinched nerve or some kind of back issue (they are doing both legs and back) will they be able to differentiate that from signs of a potential ALS onset?

I believe I read somewhere that suboptimal findings can be found by sounds? Are there things I should be listening for at certain points?

Thank you for any insight..

The interpretation is not something that you should be trying to make. The person doing the test is highly trained. Just concentrate on relaxing and tensing muscles as instructed.

Twitches alone will not be considered pathological. There is a saying it is not fasciculations but the company they keep.

generally yes they can differentiate back issues from ALS especially when they assess back muscles along with the legs

Last edited:
Thanks Nikki..so basically I'll know tomorrow whether my fasiculations are totally benign or not?

Thanks so much for your time and help with me on this.

So here are the findings I'll keep it brief just for brevity.

Every thing was pretty much normal except on one part of the NCS test it took my left leg a little longer to respond to the back then on the right. At the S1/S2 level.

He tested 18 muscles along with my reflexes. Reflexes were fine.

There were no fascillation findings but he did find 3 muscles that exhibited some fibrillations and positive sharp waves but only on a single nerve again either the s1 or s2.

He said that's he's 99.5 percent sure it's not als the other .5% being can't guarantee mantra.

He also pre-answered my question about early symptoms by saying that's it's possible but unlikely that testing too early would show these findings given that I have the twitching in both calves and there are no signs of anything else anywhere plus the 3 muscles are attached to a single nerve.

So I suppose that's good will get an mri psychologically was hoping for a clean MRI so now I'll go get a therapist to help me work through my anxiety about the results showing fibs and positive signs etc

Sorry I mean there were fascialltion findings, positive waves and fibs in the left calf attached the s1 nerve. He did my back and both legs...

Here's the report

Attachments

• IMG_8577.jpg
    IMG_8577.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 316
Jaxson...

("He said that's he's 99.5 percent sure it's not ALS, the other .5% being can't guarantee mantra").

That's all you need to know to move on from this Forum.

Congratulations on the good news. :)

Jaxson...

("He said that's he's 99.5 percent sure it's not ALS, the other .5% being can't guarantee mantra").

That's all you need to know to move on from this Forum.

Congratulations on the good news. :)

Thanks al my brain has been trained to read fibs and waves as really bad so that's why I was freaking out a bit..thanks again and of course the whole well what if this is early onset..

Last edited:
Jaxson... you are freaking out over .5%! Those are lottery odds!

Your Neuro read the EMG. Once again...

("He said that's he's 99.5 percent sure it's not ALS, the other .5% being can't guarantee mantra")

You've got to find a way to let this go and go on with your life.

It wasn't a neuro it was a physiatrist

I agree on the .5% but that's like in the moment isn't it? Like right now you don't have it but what about it being an early onset sign..

Unfortunately he wasn't available afterwards for additional conversations so I suppose maybe I could call him next week and ask..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back