Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Wales
City
North Wales
Hi all,

I've been a lurker on this thread for many months now, and want to garner your opinions on my symptoms so far (23 YO Male). I didn't think to post when my symptoms started (8 months ago) since my troubles were so minute in comparison to the vast majority of forum users, but now that I've started the journey to finding what is wrong with me I thought I would post!

Symptoms started 24th of Nov 2016, with a numb spot on my upper left back. This progressed over a few weeks to numbness, cold, tingling in feet and hands as well as jerking movements in limbs. Full body twitching quickly followed, as did stiffness. I know this sounds like MS at the moment due to sensory issues!

Slowly the tingling and numbness subdued, except for the one spot in my back which is intermittently numb and 4th and 5th fingers fall asleep at night too.

Now, my worries about ALS started when the twitching intensified, and swallowing difficulties ensued. It's not that I cant swallow its that the food travels incredibly slowly down my esophegous and takes 2 swallows to get down at times in particular with bread etc. Twitching is EVERYWHERE, you name it and I have twitched there, from eyebrows to quads to my anal sphicter :oops: I have also had back pain which radiates into my abdomen, temors, light headedness/dizziness, shooting electrical pain that travels into my head, photophobia, fatigue, and am convinced that the left side of my body is smaller than my right side.

I have a phobia of doctors due to 3 childhood operations (all minor, and successful) hence why it has taken me 8 months to visit the doctor. During my first visit brief strength tests and a very brief neuro exam was deemed normal, and blood tests were ordered. I've been prescribed an antianxiety because my worrying about the symptoms is severely impacting my life.

I know anxiety can cause many of the symptoms I've described but I never have been an anxious person. I believe that the anxiety is caused by my symptoms; Who wouldn't be anxious if they had such symptoms! :razz:

symptoms started -> worrying about symptoms -> googling symptoms -> anxiety. And I am now in an almost constant state of anxiety due to worrying about ALS, MMN MS etc.

I wholeheartedly respect all of your opinions and will take them all on board. I will also keep you up to date on my progress, blood tests on the 14th!

Thank you for reading,

All the best

Tom

There is nothing in your post that sounds like ALS. I twitch and I don't have ALS. Stress can cause twitching.

Tom,
It doesn't sound like ALS to me. I understand your aversion to doctors, but, keep on with your doc until you've gotten answers.
The best suggestion I've seen here (while you're waiting on the docs, tests, etc) is to get out and do something for another.

Angie

Thank you both for your responses, much appreciated!

Angie, I took your advice on board and have been trying to keep myself busy and occupied the last week or so with work etc as I wait for my blood tests, and a day out to York last weekend! Been trying to spend less time obsessing and to take each day as it comes.

Fasciculations and trouble swallowing still here, as well as a tremor in my left leg, and I startle so easily these days! Bloods at 11.50 tomorrow, and I have some exam results released at 12.00 so a nervous morning awaits!

Hope all is well with you both,

Tom

Quick update - blood test results came back normal unfortunately, I was hoping for (but not expecting) a simple explanation like a vitamin deficiency! Twitching has intensified somewhat over the last few weeks, especially in the arms, shoulders and neck areas.

Spent the last week in Rome which was lovely and helped keep me occupied, though my breathlessness and fatigue seemed to worsen whilst I was there! Constant feeling of having to yawn/take a deep breath! This has somewhat subdued again after coming home.

Next step - back to the docs and push for a neuro appointment!

All the best,

Tom

Hi Tom,

You'd be surprised how much anxiety can cause physical symptoms or existing symptoms to intensify. I know from experience. That yawning and taking deep breaths is classic for anxiety.

I'm happy to hear you went to Rome. Keep doing things to take your mind off your symptoms, get lots of rest, drink plenty of fluids, and work with your doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back