Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
All,

I wanted to share my story and solicit some thoughts as it relates to ALS and I appreciate all of you not just those that have to time to indulge me, I can't imagine what you are going through.

I live in NYC, a 31 year old male. I have been difficult to diagnosis. Sometimes in February I was on the treadmill about a mile or so in and just felt very dizzy and off balance and had irregular breathing (I was at times very conscious of my breathing). I stopped working and went up stairs. Remained off balance / dizzy at times over the next month generally following some physical exertion and also mostly at night. I stopped working out and went to a few doctors (they did some blood work) and thought it was an inner ear infection. They gave me some antibiotics that did nothing and a steroid that worked (you would take it and an half hour or so later the symptoms would go away). After a month or so I was basically fine though still did an episode of balance / dizziness some nights here and there but I was working out three times a week and doing fine.

In June the symptoms came back, one day I was walking home and felt strong shortness of breath with a racing heartbeat some burning sensations and heavy heart palpitations. I went to the ER and several more physician friends - chest scan, more bloods, lung function test, brain MRI, echocardiogram, many ECGs on a holter. These symptoms certainly would come with a fair amount of fatigue - a sensations that all my limbs were heavy and sometimes very severe. At night there was tingling / shaking / vibrating in my torso and legs. Balance and intolerance for exercise has been tough and consciousness of breathing is pronounced with exertion. Reading the stickies I do not believe I have any clinical weakness but my right side - shoulder, hand, forearm, is perhaps a little bit heavier if you now what I mean. That right hand gets a little more tired than my left hand when talking on a cell phone for example. The fasciculations started last week and that's pretty much why I am hear. They are mostly on my right wrist / foreman (the one that a little bit weaker but not clinically weak) but they are all over my body - other arm, chest, both legs, ankles. They come when I am resting. With a clean I am just confused and scared. Still get the dizziness if I try and walk around and still have the vibrating / tingling / whatever legs at night. With an EMG this week I should know more but wanted to see if you had any thoughts.

Hi,

DId they check you for MS? If the steroids worked than sounds like could have been something auto immune like MS but I am not a doctor so not sure..Does not sound like most of the threads on here for ALS though. Did they mention anxiety as a possible cause?

Hi,

DId they check you for MS? If the steroids worked than sounds like could have been something auto immune like MS but I am not a doctor so not sure..Does not sound like most of the threads on here for ALS though. Did they mention anxiety as a possible cause?

Thanks. The negative MRI pretty much eliminates MS. I was focused on MS as well.

After any sort of physical exertion (I just took the dogs for a walk for example). My muscles once finished feel incredibly heavy...I can move them but my whole body feels heavy. After I rest a bit that will go away.

I am willing to entertain anything at this point but my symptoms are a little too specific and acute at this point for anxiety or so I think.

Thanks so much

Hello

I have mitochondrial myopathy. It involves exercise intolerance, muscle weakness, extreme fatigue among other things. There are others here too with mito. Might be something to look into.

Could also be myasthenia gravis. I would doubt it is als.

Only other thing that is suggestive is that my tongue is vibrating like crazy. Just the tips and edges when I stick it far out of my mouth bit is definitely vibrating.

I don't think you have als. Als does not affect the whole body at one time. Don't narrow your focus on one thing. It can be anything at this point. Als does not come and go, once it starts it does not stop.

Thank you for the note. It certainly is a strange presentation but the fasciculations are scaring me especially in the tongue. I will keep looking, the EMG should be helpful I think .

I'm no doctor, but maybe you have a nutritional imbalance.

Sodium is good for you; maybe you exercise too much and lost too much sodium? I read your other post and I'm happy to see you had a clean EMG.

Try taking mutlivatims every day. This includes Vitamin B and D, plus magnesium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back