Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Columbus
A year ago I began having problems with slurred speech---at first only occasional, but then in early March, 2012, my adult son begged me to see a doctor. I put it off until June, and then began the runaround. I've had blood work upon blood work, urine tests (all clear), an MRI (clear) and an EMG last month (clear). My neuro is frustrated and we're going to have another EMG done in April. So far my only symptom is the speech and some issues with saliva. but even with the saliva, the back/roof of my mouth and tongue feel extremely dry. I can't shed tears anymore, and I have no mucus in my nostrils---when I blow my nose I just get blood. I can still eat or drink anything I want, have no trouble with swallowing and am physically pretty strong (work out 4-5X a week and train hard). No cramps, spascitity, etc. My mouth is so dry that I drink over a gallon of water a day but it doesn't help at all. I can still speak to be understood, thankfully, but at night i sound pretty bad. In the morning----and when I'm eating---my speech is pretty clear. I was tested for Sjogren's Syndrome, but all the blood work came back negative. I do have tongue fasciculations, but only when I talk.

Sorry to write a War and Peace, but did anyone else's symptoms start like mine? What happend then? Than ks so much! :sad:

Maybe you should go to an ENT? You might find that it's fixable.

Hi Holly-

I am glad youhave been working with a Neuro--sounds like they are really working to help you. Yes,many People with als do have slurred speech as a beginning symptom, but most of the other stuff you mentioned do not sound like als symptoms.

I would venture a guess that it is something else --but remember i am not a doctor--and I really hope the doctor can figure it out before it gets worse. Hope it is something fixable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back