Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
nl
City
st. johnès
I am still have muscle twitches in both arms and both legs. i also have numbness in my cheek gums and left side of my tongue. What do you think?

I am way too lazy to go back an read your former posts, but you need to have a neuro review if you have not had one. Sounds nothing like ALS, so on that point you needn't be scared, but if you have not seen a dr and maybe have an MRI, you probably should as other neurological conditions can cause these types of symptoms.
Aly

Numbness is not a sign of ALS and twitches mean nothing. See a real live doctor and find out if there is something wrong with you.

my strength is as good or better than before. if i go out somewhere like to a hockey gsame. i can stand in one place for three3 hours or more and im symptom free. when i lay down its when i guess maybe i focus too much, im stressed bigtime as well. could an xiety be my problem? today at work sit in my chair i see the twitches in my left leg and then later in my right arm?

Yes go see a regular doc and see if they think you need a neuro visit, but it sounds like straight up Anxiety/BFS to me. Not ALS.

Go check out AboutBFS.com, you'll fit in rather well over there.

Take Care

Robynn:D

Last edited:
I was referred to a neurologist back in early November and still no appointment. THe lady said maybe around next christmas if your lucky. Is that a typical wait time or is there some place you can get it done quicker. I know if you have ALS time means nothing since there is no cure yet but if it's anxiety or bfs it will drive you nuts waiting and waiting to see a neuro.

That sounds like a ridiculous time to wait for an appt. Not fair at all!

I thought I read an older post of yours that said you have a neuro appt. scheduled for sometime in Aug. 2011, I mean that is still some time away, but better than next Christmas.

I've read your history of posts on here of your symptoms and presentation, and I really do think you are going to get a BFS/Anxiety diagnoses, but BFS is a diagnosis of exclusion, so seeing a neuro will help alleviate your concerns of having something more sinister. But trust me, BFS is no picnic.:-?

Take Care

Robynn:grin:

Depending on where you are in Canada, wait times vary widely. When I had my first symptoms of slurred speech my GP wanted to make sure it wasn't a stroke so he scheduled me for an MRI the same week and a neurologist the next week. After that it was only a matter of a month before I had my first EMG/NCV tests at at clinic in Edmonton.

Like I said before, your twitching doesn't mean ALS and unless you are experiencing real weakness (inabilty to do something, not just fatigue) then try to relax and wait for your appointment.

regarding my symptoms. The twitching only happens occasionally, it's not constant and seems to only happen when i'm at rest and not moving. It may happen in the morning or the afternoon or tomorrow and then the day after tomorrow. The thing i worry about the most is that the left side my gums cheek lips and left side of my tongue feels numb from time to time. A lot of people say numbness is not part of ALS. I have muscle aches from time to time but then there are times when they feel good. (maybe ANXIETY)With regards to my neuro appt, I called and she said they are doing people now who were referred in march of last year where as I was refeered last nov. I thought about trying a private clinic but i guess that would be expensive.

Blue. I know in this country the public patients have their referrals sent through to the neurologists for grading into groups according to the urgency of the problems they are experiencing. So if you just have random twitches and symptoms similar to yours, they would either put you at the bottom of the list with about a 6 month wait, or most probably is you have no weakness, be referred back to your general practitioner for observation.

If something changed like constant numbness in your face and tongue, then you would then go quickly up the list of urgency. As your symptoms are transient and mild, there is probably absolutely nothing to worry about. If you can afford the private fee, then at least that's a way of getting some reassurance.

I'm so stressed about this. My whole emotional state has changed from buying a new house, cars etc to now trying to get my house in order regards to wills , funeral arrangements etc. I am so stressed about this. That's why i would pay to get an answer. Over the last 2 days i've been emotional stressed looking at 2 articles on the net. 1. the twitch comes after the muscle wasting but the other night someone said the twitching comes before the wasting. 2. I have a burny tip of tongue and my left side of lips jaw cheek and left side on tongue aches(numbness feeling). I read that are the symptoms of bulbar which are the worst. The average age onset onset of bulbar is 55 to 60 and im just over 40. I just wish i knew if it's ALS, BFS, MS or just total ANXIETY. It's been 6 months since my hands felt numb but they feel as good as ever over the last few months. I'm confused. If i never had the odd twitch and the mouth symptoms I would be ok. God bless you all.

Facial numbness is NOT a symptom of bulbar ALS. NOT, NOT, NOT!

If you can still talk well (by well I mean not slurred) then it sounds like you are reading too much crap on the internet.

Hi Barry,

I think my voice is still ok. I think about it a lot when im talking and sometimes over analyze it. With bulbar do u get tongue numbness or pain or does it all of a sudden one day with no symptoms your voice is slurred. (Slurred is not just one word out of 10 but 8 or 9 out of 10 like a person drunk? Thanks Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back