Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case the slurring was first noticed by others, not by me at all. We were visiting relatives in Ontario in the summer of 2007 and on my birthday I had a couple of beers and everyone was giggling because I sounded like I had had six. After that my speech became slurred all of the time (witin a couple of months) but I never had any numbness anywhere. Even now that my tongue is completely immovable it has full sensation and hurts like hell when I accidentally bite it.

My advice is to stop analyzing it and if someone mentions to you that you sound funny (without any questioning or prompting from you) then maybe ....

I too have bulbar onset. My voice was the first thing to change, for a long time (6mo) it seemed I had to push more air or harder to get words out. I would run out of air mid sentence when I would have been able to complete the whole sentence before. NO numbness. Like Barry said hurts like hell when the tongue gets in the way of teeth. Fast forward to present day voice is very disrupted slurred words still no numbness. Weakness in foot- foot doesn't rise in walking- footdrop, swallowing more difficult. Your symptoms don't sound like ALS. Having been diagnosed all I can advice you is, it is what it is and worring about it won't help so why waste valuable reasonbly healthy time on worrying? Get out and find enjoyment everyday I do and I have already had the bad news.

Is early fortiers young to have ALS especially bulbar onset. I know it can happen at any age but from what i've seen the majority of onset is usually 50's and 60's even 70's with bulbar typically or average age 55-60?

From what I understand 40 is early. I'm 46 but the first changes were far more subtle and now very diffrent than what your describing.

Is early fortiers young to have ALS especially bulbar onset. I know it can happen at any age but from what i've seen the majority of onset is usually 50's and 60's even 70's with bulbar typically or average age 55-60?

Take another look at what you just wrote and see if you can figure out the answer to your question.

As to whether or not you are a young case of bulbar onset -- probably not, since the "symptoms" you list aren't really symptoms of bulbar ALS. Additionally, they have been going on for months and you have shown no progression. But it really is pointless for any of us to engage you further on this.

You (and only you) have planted this fear of ALS in your own mind and are continuing to cultivate and fertilize it, instead of rooting it out like the weed that it is. Once you come to the decision that you want to get past this fear, maybe we can help you. Until then, all we can do is express our regret at how you are wasting time and energy chasing phantoms in your own mind.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back