Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MA
City
Fall River
Hi I am a 19 yr old male, I suffer from severe anxiety and idk if that's what is causing this. I am very athletic and always playing sports or working out so I never use to get tired or fatigue after some activities that I now do, I will present a list of symptoms and questions and hopefully people can help me because I am very scared:
Symptoms:
-Weakness/Heaviness in my arms, legs, feet and arms (Started on only left side and got my heart and all checked out because of it)
-Fatigue
-Tingling, Burning Sensations in my arms and legs
-Back pain
-Some Twitching
-feeling of weak knees

Please someone tell me their opinions I am worrying myself sick I have a neuro appointment July 2nd but I can't help but think so please I appreciate it.

You already had 4 people respond to you on your previous thread. I will be the 5th to say it does not sound at all like ALS. Please try to keep to one thread. Please try to stay off the web and do something to distract yourself. It seems as if you are so anxious!
Good luck
Nikki

I know but I really am that worried also, could you please tell me the symptoms because I obviously must have it all wrong

I think you could have something going on but not ALS. The tingling leads away from ALS.

Also..I started out with weakness in both arms and was told that I would not "feel" the weakness (and I definitely do), but would notice it when I tried to perform a small task.

Your symptoms have gone on to include legs and throat and that is not how ALS acts (that quickly).

When I was young and active (as you are) I had occasional weird muscle things. They just happen. I would not worry at all about ALS at your age.

One of the activities you do could be causing your symptoms or it could be anything from Anxiety (which can convince you that you have multiple symptoms) to a virus, or just normal run of the mill stuff.

Start thinking of the activities you have been doing lately. I think you might find out what has aggravated your muscles.

I think getting checked out is a good thing to allay your fears. I don't think the neurologist will even suspect ALS.

I was ill for many months when I was 17. Doctors had no idea what was wrong. It ended up being Mono. I'm thankful there was no internet then HA! I would have diagnosed myself with something bad for sure.

I was going to quit coming to this site, but want to be here when you and some of the others report back with a clean bill of health.

I just read a good article by a doctor who treats these type of issues. He said ALS is so RARE that he doesn't consider it unless the patient has difficulty walking (drop foot, gait, falling), difficulty with hands like buttoning shirt or opening doors or symptoms suggestive of the bulbar type (choke all the time and can't breathe). He stated the odds are 1 in 50,000 which is even less than the 1 in 10,000 I have heard before.

Anxiety dude.....it can mess you up.

SYMPTOMS-
1.muscle weakness in one or more of the following: hands, arms, legs or the muscles of speech, swallowing or breathing
2.twitching (fasciculation) and cramping of muscles, especially those in the hands and feet
3.impairment of the use of the arms and legs
4."thick speech" and difficulty in projecting the voice
5.in more advanced stages, shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing and swallowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back