Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Yorkshire
City
York
I do have Asthma and I am overweight but I am having more problems.

-I get a ache in my chest a lot right in the centre (I have had Chest X-Rays and ECG's done)
-I gasp/sigh a lot everyday
-I now seem to have hiccups quite often daily but it only last 2-3 seconds.
-Also I get quite a lot of headaches
-Breathing seems shallow or like i am not getting enough air in, Also i'm not sure if my headaches are related to this? I feel like I am gasping for air, I do get short of breath easily as well.
-Neck/Shoulder aches.

I also still have problems with:-

Dry mouth (Although sometimes it feels like i have too much saliva in my mouth and feel like i am going to drool.)
Sometimes i choke for a few seconds on food or saliva.
Some difficulty swallowing

The throat problems I have had for nearly a year, The breathing problems I have had for about 4-5 months or so.

I will be completely honest, My fear is Respiratory Onset.

Should i be fearful?

Obviously, with all the problems you've been citing here, you have been seeing your own doctors regularly. What do they say is wrong with you?

PS -- Since you don't have a MND diagnosis, you really should be posting this in the "Do I Have ALS?" part of the board.

Last edited:
Sorry i realised straight after that it was posted in the wrong section, Please move it if you can.

So far there has been no explanation.

Oh the doctor did try and blame my breathing issues on my weight but i'm not massive, I'm overweight but not really really big.

Would asking for a lung function test be a good idea?

What's you're opinion on possible Respiratory Onset? Male 31 and as above Asthmatic and Overweight.

Last edited:
What's you're opinion on possible Respiratory Onset? Male 31 and as above Asthmatic and Overweight.

I think that you were a big enough PITA the last time you were here that it doesn't really matter what anyone here says to you. So, my only comment for you is listen to your doctor, do what he tells you, and have a nice life.

Repeat after me:

Listen to my doctor. Mention headaches to him and breathing issues and see if I have sleep apnea, which is the most likely cause of the stuff you're describing if you're overweight.

And yes--you'd have to ask. They don't know you have the problem sometimes because we don't always give the doc the symptoms of sleep apnea to let them know they need a sleep study.

And, with asthma, you should be under the care of a pulmonologist. HE will decide if you need a PFT

Repeat after me:

Listen to my doctor. Mention headaches to him and breathing issues and see if I have sleep apnea, which is the most likely cause of the stuff you're describing if you're overweight.

And yes--you'd have to ask. They don't know you have the problem sometimes because we don't always give the doc the symptoms of sleep apnea to let them know they need a sleep study.

And, with asthma, you should be under the care of a pulmonologist. HE will decide if you need a PFT

Thanks for you're post, However I would like to say that why could it be Sleep Apnea? I have breathing issues in the daytime and chest aches etc.....Sleep Apnea happens just a night and as far as I know doesn't cause breathing issues during the day.

Thanks for you're post, However I would like to say that why could it be Sleep Apnea? I have breathing issues in the daytime and chest aches etc.....Sleep Apnea happens just a night and as far as I know doesn't cause breathing issues during the day.

It could be sleep apnea because when one has sleep apnea, they tend to build up excess co2 that can make them feel like general crap all day.

The first thing a patient notices is frequent am headaches.

It's just ONE possibility to look into. I'm not a doctor and can't diagnose anyone. But, I do have sleep apnea and have many of those same symptoms.

Am I right in thinking that Respiratory Onset is almost unheard of? Especially in you're 30's?

Am I right in thinking that Respiratory Onset is almost unheard of? Especially in you're 30's?

Yes. There are many more likely culprits for your respiratory issues when you have asthma, too. Chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, reactive asthma attacks....all kinds of things.

But, daytime sleepiness and headaches are classic signs of co2 buildup caused by sleep apnea.

I will look into Sleep Apnea but if i did have it i hope it would be obstructive rather than central sleep apnea as isn't that part of a neurological disease like als?

I have noticed in the last 2 weeks that I do have quite big tonsils but to be honest i don't know if they have always been that big.

No-one has said i look really out of breath but my neck and chest aches and it feels like i am breathing shallowly inside, I do get headaches but not always in the morning, I probably develop more in the day than first thing in the morning.

I am very worried but i know the chances of me having respiratory onset at my age must be something like 0.5%

Your chance of respiratory onset als at your age is probably more like .000005%.

Drop some weight, get some exercise (it doesn't have to be anything strenueous), breathe correctly when you're awake, eat right, drink lots of water, see a good doctor, make your mind up that you are healthy and enjoy your youth while you can. Every day you waste is gone forever.

Ms. Pie--that is one of the best lines I've ever heard---EVERY DAY YOU WASTE IS GONE FOREVER.

Stewart, YOU don't need to look into sleep apnea--you can ASK your doc if it's possible. God, you went and researched it? It's only one of a zillion possible causes of your issues.

Asthma sucks. Some days are good, some are bad. My chest almost always feels tight--goes with the disease. Check with a pulmonary doc if you're concerned. Perhaps some new asthma meds are in order and will solve the problem for you entirely.

If, by chance, you're a smoker, that can make asthma worse. If you're overweight (by more than 30-50 lbs) that can make you get short of breathe much more easily. I'm overweight--I literally can't walk and talk--because I simply can't breathe when I do.

It's easier to lose weight the younger you are. If you do so--do so healthily. Just not eating causes the metabolism to slow and makes losing weight even more difficult. Smaller portions more often works well for most people.

More than 30-50 lbs overweight and the breathing issues get worse. As the stomach gets bigger, the diaphragm has to work harder to expand, leading to use of accessory muscles to breathe. Some with asthma always use accessory muscles.

I can't imagine why breathing issues even led you to an ALS site. Shortness of breathe isn't an early sign of ALS.

Relax. It's a holiday weekend. If you'd like, I'll trade you the migraine that's keeping me inside online instead of out enjoying the lovely day.

My weight should be around 140-155 pounds and i am 226 pounds.

Thing is i'm out of breath even when i'm sat down or sitting on the bed etc etc and that's what worries me.

I have done a few recordings of myself sleeping in the past and haven't seen any evidence of Sleep Apnea, I do snore but obviously that doesn't mean it's Sleep Apnea.

The thing is I have been this weight for around 4-5 years and never had any of these breathing issues until the last 4-5 maybe 6 months.

I do get widespread twitching and I also get a lot of pain in my knees and elbows and quite a lot of stiffness.

Last edited:
Everybody twitches and many people have knee problems. Especially people that are carrying more weight than they should. You're 35. You need to start living more healthily before you keel over from a heart attack or something. Forget about ALS. Take care of yourself starting right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back