Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Nj
City
Nj
Hi, I apologize for being back but the drs. can’t get to the root of my issues and keep telling me to go back to the neurologist. The Neuros keep saying come back in 6 months. My last visit drs thought I had celiac but now it turns out that was not the issue.

Couple of questions if you don’t mind.

1. Does als cause any gastro problems early on?
I have greasy loose stools or constpation. Changes week to week.

2. Does early als cause non stop post nasal drip? I have non stop mucas in my thought- for about a year. Would mucas come after real weekends. Reg docs have tried everything.

3. Would als cause a tickle that causes me to caugh? I have no swallowing issues.

4. I now have trigger thumb and finger- and all my joints crack- my back cracks very easily- this is all new. Does anyone have that???

Currently I twitch everywhere- I get nerve pain as well sometimes.
My thumb will twitch after I apply force to something.

No clinical weeknees. 3 good emgs and a 4th next week.
The docs are requesting the emgs not me- they see the issues they just can’t get to the bottom of it.

Thank you in advance, I just want to go to my appointment next week informed. Thanks!

We’ve told you previously we don’t feel you have ALS.

There good EMGs and no obvious weakness noted by neuros.....

Yet you’re back. Why???

You have health issues, no doubt, but they’re not from ALS. This is not a general health forum, and our function is to provide support for people with diagnosed ALS and their families. We’re not here to diagnose your non-ALS problem.

I will kindly attempt to answer your questions, and then you must leave.

1. Does als cause any gastro problems early on?

No

2. Does early als cause non stop post nasal drip?

No. People with ALS get postnasal drip for the same reasons others do. They just have trouble clearing the secretions.

3. Would als cause a tickle that causes me to cough?

No, but post nasal drip can.

4. I now have trigger thumb and finger- and all my joints crack- my back cracks very easily- this is all new. Does anyone have that??

Not because of ALS.

Simply because I have a had 2 primary doctors, 2 rheumatologist, a gastro dr, a hand dr and a urologist notice my issues and they all have said- go back to the neuro. We don’t have answers.
So whatever- I’ll write back after my emg next week

But that you for answering the questions.

Hi, I just received my latest emg results. Again, doctors are pushing for the emg - they are trying to figure out symptoms.
Emg has no fibs it psw-

But it had increased median nerve motor latency.

Does anyone know if that is a concern?
I don’t have my follow up for 2 months.
Thank you, Tom

That is an ncs finding not an emg one. The tests are done together usually. Ncs abnormalities point away from ALS

Ok thank you, I have to stay away from the internet.
Read a lot of als patients have increased motor latency and that’s why often confused with Carple tunnel- but I am asssuming those patents also had band emgs.
My emg said completely normal- crazy to me since the doctor was watching me twitch during the tests- I guess that are kit true fasc...
Thanks

Hi, emg attached. No fibs but mups- just turning here because they are not available to discuss findings with me until June....
Thanks

Attachments

• CC37144A-A746-4F79-8B59-4D8BE7328C44.jpg
    CC37144A-A746-4F79-8B59-4D8BE7328C44.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 351
That is a normal EMG and rules out ALS. The few things that are slightly off are minor and not of concern. An EMG on someone with ALS will show many muscles with increased insertion, psws, reduced recruitment, fibrillations, complex motor unit morphology, etc.

You can relax. You don’t belong here.

Lucky you.

Ok, thank you. I’ve actually been off this site for a month. I found the bfs Facebook page and it is a blessing.
My reg neuro was kinda bugged that I couldn’t get back to see the muscle neuro and like I said I had no where to turn.
Thank you, you are very kind. Thank for all you do on this site- I’ll try to never log in again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back