Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
nl
City
st. johnès
I have had twitching, muscle pain aches off and on for almost 2.5 years now. It has subsidied to almost non existent over the last year with the twitching. I had an MRI and EMG last January which were both clean. I guess the reason i'm posting this question is about 2 years i moved a sofa about 100 feet with my brother and i found muscle fatique in my left arm. Everything was good until about a month ago when my lower back flared up and i did some xtensions lying down on my stomach and pushing my back up into extension. As i started doing that at about the sixth or seventh rep of 10 i felt a tired feeling there. In years before the twitching started a won't get the same feeling. I a little acky from the shoulder to the hand at times since then. I had a strenght test down and i have 120 psi in both hands which is a little above normal for my age. As my neoro said it was something called BFS were symtoms come and then go where as he said with ALS once it comes it stays. I'm insecure and i guess nervous about it. Any input would help. Thank you.

Hi, I just got through the whole diagnosing process with my grandfather. To know for sure if you have it you can go neurological exam done. This will test your reflexes. If you have abnormal reactions this will be an indicator of that. You have to rule out all other problems before being diagnosed with this. Did your neuro dr. Do the whole exam where h
They tap the reflexes and all?

You would have obvious weakness after 2.5 years of ALS. In fact, ALS is measured by a functional rating scale as it progresses. That's because steady, unrelenting progression is a hallmark of the condition. You received a diagnosis -- BFS -- you should be quite grateful this is all you have to contend with. You've been completely cleared of any neuromuscular issues with the EMG and you are fine. Get out there and enjoy your life.

Not to minimize your worry--but the description of your symptoms are really minor...

This is an ALS forum--a very serious devastating disease. 2.5 years of achy muscles, above average hand strength, able to do 7 back extentions, your arm got tired after moving a sofa? You went to a neuro who said you are fine...come on buddy, listen to your self. YOu do not have ALS, you are lucky. So, so, lucky. get off the computer and stop searching symptoms. enjoy the gift of life you have been given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back