Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Hereford
City
Hereford
Hi, I would like some advice please. As I've said in my previous post I have been twitching in my calves, thighs and occasionally widespread including tongue for the last 7 months. My legs are constant 24/7 and I have muscle soreness just from a day at work or walking the dog, I also have stiffness, I would really appreciate some input on this, thank you. X

What did the doctors think is going on? obviously ALS is in your thoughts but before you even remotely "go here", some testing and evaluation by clinicians may well put your mind at rest. When my stuff started and I went to the general medical sites for some information, I found a 100 other things it could be and that could well be your case too.

The odds are remote and just because 100% of the folks here are connected to MND in some way, please keep in mind we are a very small - VERY SMALL - segment of the population so this isn't a place to get general information.

I mean we are all nice people and hail fellow well met types but you don't want us as associates...the advice of "I won't join any group that wants me as a member" is appropriate.

I believe your drs told you it was BFS. All that you describe fits what your drs are telling you. There are meds to help, maybe you should talk to the dr about trying some. Try them and give it 5 or 6 months, if they don't work then be reevaluated by the dr.

I had twitching all over my body in 2010. This is also when I started a vegan diet and holistic lifestyle along with my brother who was told he had ALS. My father and his sister also died of ALS in the 1990's. This means I have a 50/50 chance of having the SOD gene. My brother and I both had our hair analysis tests and all I had was alum but Reid had lead, mercury, iron and arsenic. Reid died in October 2013. I believe since my brain and body was void of many heavy metals I am still surviving. After I started the vegan diet my twitching stopped. I have created a new website detailing the holistic lifestyle I practice every day now to keep myself healthy. If I have this mutated ALS gene I do not want it to express itself and start shutting down my motor neurons.

Media smart I have been seen by my GP twice and a neuro physiotherapist, I had slightly brisk reflexes in left knee but strength tests were normal. I'm just so worried about my constant twitching legs and they are so sore and stiff, I know these things are all symptoms of als so here I am, very worried. Thanks for replying,fit for life I'm sorry about your brother, I canny believe there's no cure for als, it really does baffle me with all the amazing things scientists can do, I pray one day soon they find a cure xx

Still sounds like benign fasciculations, which still can cause some stiffness. Do daily stretching, and meditation. I think that Fitforlife is absolutely right about living a holistic lifestyle.

These are not early symptoms or signs of ALS, but your language shows clearly that it is linked to your high anxiety levels. Please believe and work with your doctors.

Thank you both for replying, I'm being referred to a neurologist, my GP still thinks it's benign but obviously can't be sure. Affected, you say twitching and sore/still muscles aren't early signs of als but I've read several things saying that they are, can you shed any light on this? Many thank, Amy xx

Fasciculations may occur and mean that already the nerves are not delivering impulses fully and the muscles are dying.

Stiffness and soreness are NOT symptoms of early ALS.

My husband has advanced spasticity of his arms, his shoulders are frozen, his hands are claws, he cannot raise hand to mouth and he has STIFFNESS AND PAIN. He cannot even pick up his reading glasses they feel so heavy to him.

The spasticity and pain are linked, and are very different to 'feeling stiff'.

Please stop looking for such dire results from such general vague symptoms. I've had stiffness and pain in parts of my body for more than 30 years and my husband used to say to me that he would be so worried if he had this.

Thank you for explaining that, I understand now. I do try to rationalise the soreness in my thighs but with the constant twitching too it's a constant reminder something is going on.

I pray that you don't have ALS, and that there are simple answers for your twitching and soreness.
Sometimes not enough potassium is the culprit, then other times, too much caffeine.
Good luck to you

According to the MDA, early ALS symptoms include stiffness:

Stages of ALS | Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis | MDA

When you go to the neuro, I think you should insist on an EMG. My take on EMGs is as follows:

If you have fasiculations only, with normal clinical exam, you probably don't need one.
If you have fasiculations and ANY other ALS symptom and/or abnormal exam (brisk reflexes are abnormal), you need one.

Since you have no weakness, chances are the EMG will be normal and you could then start to relax a bit and start thinking BFS. If symptoms progress, this first EMG can serve as a baseline for comparison against any additional required EMGs.

I listened to the video on the link before, that's why I thought stiffness was an early symptom. I don't have weakness, had this for 7 months so not sure if I would yet? I think my muscles are more sore than stiff. Thanks for replying.

I never saw that link, thanks for posting it. There are so many different opinions on the early stages symptoms.

My muscles in my thighs hurt when I walk or move, the fasics in them are very few when at rest but constant when moving. I can't figure out if I have stiff or sore thighs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back