00/0000
Country
NO
State
OS
City
Oslo
Dear all,

First of all thank you for this forum and for providing support and information. I am a bit worried about posting, I have read the posting rules, but English is not my primary language so also there are a few expressions that I’m unsure of.
My ALS fear started in August 2019, due to constant widespread twitching. I saw a neurologist and he was not worried. I still had an EMG test, that was clear. I had another EMG in January 2020, on my own initiative. She said she found some latency (?) that could indicate carpal tunnel syndrome on my right hand, but nothing else. I was happy and managed to let it go. In March i tried to go skiing, but noticed I couldn’t lift my right big toe as much as the left, which made it painful to ski (cross country).

I’ve paid much attention to this toe last weeks, I can bend it upwards perhaps 70 % as much as the left toe, it sort of “stops” before the toe on the other side. I can walk on my toes.

Now my right hand also feels stiff and I can’t stretch my ring finger as easily as the one on the left side. Like if I try to make a “3-fingers sign” the fingers feels stiff.

I can hold cups and so, just hand and fingers are feeling more stiff than other hand. And since it’s same body side as the toe issue I’m starting to worry again. Should I see a neurologist again? New EMG? Im very worried.
Thank you for reading.

I would go back to the neuro you started with, who baselined your strength and therefore can judge if another EMG or other testing is needed. You can show her how you move your toe even on video.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for answer. I saw my neurologist today. I spent 60 minutes in the office explaining and doing strength tests.

He said all strength was normal and he saw no need for another EMG. Should I listen to him?

yes. Be happy, you do not have ALS.

Hi again. I had a nerve conduction study of my hand as an appointment turned up the day after I saw my neurologist. The doctor checked both hands but only by nerve conduction, not needle. The nerve conduction study was normal. She then put one single needle in my right hand, and said that things were normal. Is it enough with just one needle in one place?

Yes. You're clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back