Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago area
Okay, so I've been watching for this for years because relatives on my father's side of the family have passed from ALS. My grandmother, my uncle (her son), two great-aunts, a second cousin have all passed from ALS. I don't know if my father would have had it. He died from cancer in his early 50's.

I'm currently 52. I've been waking up the past 3 weeks with what I guess one would call a stiff neck. I can hardly lift my head some mornings because of the pain. It eases up after a few minutes altho it bothers me some throughout the day.

Also, it's weird, maybe once a week or less, I'll kinda choke/cough and realize it's because I wasn't swallowing my own saliva automatically.

So am I just freakin' myself out here? I don't want to go through what I saw my grandmother and uncle go through.

TIA.

Okay, so I've been watching for this for years because relatives on my father's side of the family have passed from ALS. My grandmother, my uncle (her son), two great-aunts, a second cousin have all passed from ALS. I don't know if my father would have had it. He died from cancer in his early 50's.

I'm currently 52. I've been waking up the past 3 weeks with what I guess one would call a stiff neck. I can hardly lift my head some mornings because of the pain. It eases up after a few minutes altho it bothers me some throughout the day.

Also, it's weird, maybe once a week or less, I'll kinda choke/cough and realize it's because I wasn't swallowing my own saliva automatically.

So am I just freakin' myself out here? I don't want to go through what I saw my grandmother and uncle go through.

Editing to add: My gag reflex has also increased considerably. I'm having a difficult time brushing my teeth without gagging.

TIA.

Edited my own post to add gagging.

That is not an initial symptom typically associated with ALS. It is a symptom most commonly associated with . . . well . . . a stiff neck. Do your best to relax and not think about something that could happen to you. Given what you have so far, it isn't what you think it could be.

That is not an initial symptom typically associated with ALS. It is a symptom most commonly associated with . . . well . . . a stiff neck. Do your best to relax and not think about something that could happen to you. Given what you have so far, it isn't what you think it could be.

Thank you. I really appreciate your response. I know I'm freaking out unnecessarily. It's just that I'm of that age where you want an explanation to every little ache and pain instead of just admitting I'm gettin' old!

hi

with your family history of als no wonder you are tense and scared.
lets hope it has skipped you,try to get on with things as normal but definatley get checked out if anything else happens .

TIA,

I would put ALS out of your mind. If you should start having difficulty with normal, everyday functiionality (walking up stairs, walking in general, slurred speech, weakened hands, arms, legs, feet, toes, etc) then I'd start to consider getting a check-up.

A stiff neck is a stiff neck. Maybe you should look into getting a new pillow. I just got one and it is nice and fluffy and has no dust mites!

Zaphoon

Hi TIA,
Yes, a new pillow might be in order. I use one of those memory foam pillows. They are very dense and not especially soft, but are molded to fit your neck. It has helped me with my neck problems. I do not have ALS, my husband does.

You may want to try a neck stretching exercise that my husband's OT showed him. Sit up straight, and without moving your neck up or down at all, pull your chin in as far as you can & hold for a few seconds. Then stretch it as far forward as you can.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back