Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
I have a totally paralyzed neck and drop head syndrome. During the day I have to hold my head and I use several things to do that but I don't feel stiffness, numbness or pain. But after falling asleep, shortly after I wake up with that sensation. Some times it is very bad. I don't know What to do. Any ideas? Any medicine that could help?
Thanks,
Alex

Alex I would get an OT to look closely at the setup you have for sleeping and devise a way to better support your neck before heading to meds.

So you sleep in a hospital bed?

Larry lost his neck muscles early. We used a shoulder pillow from Amazon (Isotonic).

Thanks Tillie and Laurie, I will pay more attention to the position of my head while sleeping. The reason I asked about medicines is the fact that even the position seems to contribute, being asleep seems to be the main trigger.

This is why I suggest an OT work with you as they understand support.

Are you in a hospital bed, using wedges or pillows?

This is why I suggest an OT work with you as they understand support.
Are you in a hospital bed, using wedges or pillows?

I have a regular bed and use a wedge pillow with three pillows on top of it positioned so that my shoulder fits in the gap between two pillows and the head does not bend sideways too much. I sleep on my side to prevent aspiration of secretions.
I just got palliative care and there may be an OT coming. Today came the doctor and he suggested using morphine. I didn't like that idea.

Morphine is indeed over the top for musculoskeletal pain such as you describe. I would really look into the hospital bed as the head pillows aren't a substitute -- they don't affect your back and likely strain the C-spine further. You can still use foam/little pillows to fine-tune your position on your side.

Tillie's idea seems ideal... mattress overlays helped my back, shoulders, ass, legs. Online cost about $100. A bed that can adjust the head and leg height is essential.

Take care,

pat

Thanks Alex - I do think that a hospital bed and either an alternating air mattress or one of the good overlays, with good supportive pillows may well prevent the need for morphine for quite some time yet.

Also do not underestimate the benefits of massage, ROM/stretching (have someone like a good PT teach your carer how to do this correctly as necks are very delicate!), and heat application to the areas.

Also magnesium gel rubbed into the area with a massage and gentle stretching before bed in a good setup could make the world of difference for you.

Please do let us know how you get on!

Agree that everyone using a medical mattress should have an overlay (quality foam worked fine for us; some will do better with more movement, thus the alternating air/low air loss types). Pay attention to air circulation when you select as of course you will have less resistance to "sinking in" it than a typical sleeper.

I have a lot of back and neck issues and use a pillow called the Stress Ease Neck Support Pillow. It has an indent for your head to drop slightly lower while supporting your neck. Something like this might help keep your head and neck in proper form and reduce the muscle tension. Hope you find a solution soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back