Diagnosis
7/2019
Country
SG
State
NA
City
Singapore
My father legs becomes very and very stuffed at night, it's so stuffed that he has to wake up. Doctors give him medicine for muscle relaxant but seems that's also not working. Is their anything related to ALS progression or its something different than ALS? Any idea or suggestions?

Thanks.

By “stuffed”, do you mean fluid retention (edema), or do you mean stiff from being unable to move?
For stiffness, I would do range of motion exercises at bedtime and on awakening.
For edema, I recommend elevating the legs above the level of the heart several times a day. Consider massaging fluid from feet towards knees and consider compression stockings.

By “stuffed”, do you mean fluid retention (edema), or do you mean stiff from being unable to move?
For stiffness, I would do range of motion exercises at bedtime and on awakening.
For edema, I recommend elevating the legs above the level of the heart several times a day. Consider massaging fluid from feet towards knees and consider compression stockings.
I am sorry ... I meant Stiff... And we have a physiotherapist visit him everyday from past 2 months but I don't see any progress.

Have you tried magnesium?

Karen is right about range of motion exercise, which you can do at home, massage is good (stroking the legs toward the center of the body) and also I would consider a low voltage heated mattress pad if the room or bed is cold, or his legs are.

Not all physios are equally aware of what will help in ALS. You might ask for a consulting physio or a physician who specializes in rehabilitation (in the States, that specialty is called physiatry or physical medicine). The key is to support and stabilize all the joints except the one that is being exercised.

the same thing happens to me-- extreme stiffness in the legs during the night that is so painful it wakes me in the middle of the night. im going to talk to my clinic about it tomorrow at my appointment. we do all the things suggested above and I am on baclofen. all of that helps during the day but not at night. when my husband changes my position in bed for me during the night im so stiff it hurts terribly for him to move me to where i cry out in pain. we usually stop and do ROM for 15-20 minutes even though it's the middle of the night.

There is also “magnesium sport lotion plus” that my caregiver told me about (I have not personally tried it). She had another client with stiff painful legs at night and found that massaging the legs with this at bedtime was beneficial.

Magnesium relaxes skeletal muscle. For those who can take pills, Magnesium Oxide 400 mg at bedtime is helpful. Unfortunately it doesn’t dissolve well in a g tube.

Start with a lower dose if taking orally- it can sometimes cause loose bowels til you get used to it.

I use a topical gel on my legs and shoulder and it seems to work well.

The Mg chloride lotion is a good idea -- less systemic exposure and easier to put where it's needed.

Kristina, do you maintain an angle for your legs via the bed at night and is there foam under your knees and heels? With the right support, most people should be able to stay on their back at night without changing position.

I take 1,200 mg of magnesium. Years ago, a cardiologist recommended it for heart palpitations. Most people take in way too much calcium and not enough magnesium. These two minerals oppose one another. Magnesium helps muscles to relax while calcium helps them to contract. I also use magnesium oil and massage it on my legs. I know that 1,200 mg of magnesium sounds like a lot but I would start with 400 milligrams (you can get it in any form including liquid) at bedtime. It helps with both sleep and muscle relaxation.

I've been taking it for over 30 years. Massage helps me, too. Low temperature heat is another tool to relax muscles.

Laurie I do have adjustable bed set to slightly elevate legs. I have yet to find a workable under-knees solution. I am tiny (4'11, 102 lbs). Every foam under-knees pillow I've tried has been too big, not in height but in width. When I was in the hospital they had a nice thin one they put under my knees and it was PERFECT but I have searched and searched and cannot find one to buy that is like that. I've wasted so much money on ones that didnt work out that i gave up. i didnt know youre supposed to put something under your heels.

i will try the magnesium lotion. I have a liquid magnesium for my g-tube, i will try it. i use it for occasional RLS.

Try the "travel size" pillow in the pillow section at Bed Bath Beyond for under your knees, or a latex remnant from a foam or latex bedding store (they ship custom blocks if you don't have local access) that you put a small pillow case over; you never want to have uncovered foam in an area with less circulation. Or cut a bigger block to size, or fill your own cloth with filling from some of the rejects and have an alteration place stitch it shut. There are also small futon/yoga pillows that may suit.

Or call the hospital floor you were on -- they can check their inventory for the brand, and many hospital grade products are now available to consumers.

For heels, look at Prevalon (there is a petite size) pressure boots. There are cheaper but none better.

My Doctor recommended magnesium and copper over two years ago (they work together). I take 250mg magnesium and 2-3mg Copper morning and night with meals. It helped enough to get me back on the indoor bicycle. Five minutes and maybe half a mile twice a week at the start, and now up to 30 minutes and five miles (very slow progress, and take it easy). The circulation and motion helps with the muscle swelling & water retention (and night relief), and joint pain & stiffness.

i use cannabis lotion with THC, it has to have THC and that helps my stiff muscles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back