Stem Cell Trials at Sunnybrook

Status
Not open for further replies.
... hiding out in Bill's humidor

Hi T,

Smoke it , of course ! Do you have any other ideas? Al, Al, Al, I am no intern. Been there, done that. lol

Carol

So if I understand correctly everyone wants to get together and smoke a fine Cuban cigar once I am back. Or drink some fine Cuban Rum. 7 year old of course.

I'll go for the rum! I got used to the higher proof on our honeymoon in the Virgin Islands. I hadn't done much drinking at that time and we had a ver small fruit drink on the beach, and we both just about passed out! Then there were the coconut drinks......hmmmm, they just don't make it like that here.

Luckily for me it's been illegal to go to Cuba so I haven't had to worry about getting thrown in jail (unless I actually went)! I remember having a student from Sweden in my high school and she didn't seem to get our humour either. Us North Americans sure are a breed unto ourselves! Must be the snow.

Al, you mentioned something about "both" tests. I got a little lost, that was EMG and ?

Tbear - Nathan shouldn't have a problem with the test if it's like electrical work. He's the type to stick his finger in the socket to see if it's live! :)

Timshelper - haven't heard from you lately, are you doing okay? If you have posted and I missed it then I apologzie. I've been having trouble keeping things straight here now that so many are posting (that's a good thing).
The other "problem" I'm having is that my kitten of 7 months has just discovered the novelty of my computer screen and all the blinking lights etc. She likes to sit exactly in the middle of the screen and paw at all the stuff. I keep moving her but I think it's interrupting my concentration! :lol: She is the cutest though.

Glad to see more of you Theresa. Carol, I will definitely take you up on your offer when the time is right. One of the things I am checking on is insurance coverage in Canada. There is also the Farmington Hills Doctor you mentioned awhile back and we apparantly have a couple of good ALS clinics in Detroit and Ann Arbor. I'm also working on a list of questions/comments for the Doctor Tuesday. That should at least give me something to work from. I guess that's all for now. -me-

Al:
I think I can handle rum again. If anybody has been to Barbados and taken the Jolly Roger Fun Cruise, you'll understand why I can't look rum in the face anymore... and the mere thought of rum punch starts my head rotating. I think that I'll spin out of here now.

T.

Hey Guys,

How is everyone tonight? Ted, I have been on the same rum run boat specials. One in St. Thomas Virgin Islands, and one in Mexico. I was sitting on the roof and slid right off! I lost my balance , thats my story and I'm sticking to it. ha.. It had nothing to do with the 100 proof rum, I promise. Looking forward to doing it again some day. Anyone, want to go with me? ha.....

Carol

Hi Melissa. The EMG is one test. They shock you with little electrodes and the Nerve conduction is the one where they stick the needles in your muscles. They move them around and watch the squiggles on the computer screen and the noise sounds like static on the TV. They might be both done as the EMG but I thought they were 2 different tests.

Did the rum cruise in Jamaica. We passed by the hotels in Montego Bay on the way back and about 10 of us mooned everyone on the beach. Yup rum is good stuff.

As for missing posts Melissa and for the new people here a small lesson on what I have learned about navigating this site. When going to the ALS Society home page and clicking on Quick Links and then discussion forum the page will open up showing the different forums. If you click on the message on the right side of the page it will take you to the last topic and message on that page. If there is only one message look at the bottom of the page and go back to previous page. OR when you get to the forums page click on General Chatter on the left and it will take you to the last messages for the last bunch of topics. You can look at the dates on the right and see when someone has posted a message on all the subjucts.

The same applies if you get the automated reply in your email mail box. Click on the link and it will take you back to the reply to your message and then click General Chatter at the top of the page.
I missed a few posts for a while so hope this helps someone. Take care.
Al.

i've volunteered to take part in study of stemcell research at sunnybrook. Dr Cashman has got full funding and needs 5 volunteers and someone to head the study. i'm volunteer number 4. this is not embryonic stem cells. the stemcells come from our own bodies. is anyone else in the toronto area interested? i thought i'd put the word out! :D

hi is this for spinal cord injuries - im really desperate!

Last edited by a moderator:
No I'm sorry it is for ALS or I think they call it Motor Neuron Disease over there. If it is successful I am sure others will attempt to use it for other uses such as spinal cord injuries and other wasting diseases. It will take time though. This trial is expected to take 6 months and if it works they will try it on a larger group. I would not expect to see it widely used for a few years yet. Have you heard of the Doctor in China using embryonic stem cells to treat spinal cord injuries?

... you check out the Chinese program by googling Huang Hongyun. He's the Neurologist that's been transplanting stem cells. there's a lot of information there... and, of course the requisite controversy over the use of embryonic strem cells.

T.

dr. cashman has all the required volunteers that he needs. he's now awaiting some protocols. i remembered when my mom was waiting on protocols to receive the drug that she had volunteered to try. she finally received the drug the week before she died. now they are having very good results with this drug in combo with riluzole in north america and in europe. it's still part of a drug study.

good news is dr. neil hopes we'll be starting the stemcell trials in the new year!

Hi Debbie, what was the drug they wanted to try on your mother and are having some success with now?

How do they decide who can be a part of the stem cell trials, and do they have to do any/extensive testing before hand?

Just kinda wondering.

Re:

... you check out the Chinese program by googling Huang Hongyun. He's the Neurologist that's been transplanting stem cells. there's a lot of information there... and, of course the requisite controversy over the use of embryonic strem cells.

T.

Hey,

thanks ever so much

GOOD LUCK GUYS

x

Last edited by a moderator:
theresa, i just volunteered and there were two spots left at the time. i had volunteered when my mom was still alive, but only people with als can participate in the study. no testing has been done on me yet.

the drug my mother tried was put out by Novartis. TCH and then some numbers. there wasn't a name for the drug yet.

thanks Debbie, I hope when the time comes you begin this, you will keep everyone informed.
It certainly could be a tremendous break through.
Can't wait to hear more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back