Reason
Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
AB
City
Calgary
My mom is newly diagnosed with ALS. Of course my family is going through the initial shock of it. But we are now looking at options when it comes to slowing progression of the disease. My mom currently isn't on any meds.

My dad has gotten in touch with Dr. Burton Feinerman regarding the stem cell therapy his clinic offers. This doctor is surprisingly readily available to chat, can book her in 2 weeks and get started. I can't even get my own family doc to see me in less than 3 weeks...lol.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with him? I know that stem cell therapy at this point is very hit and miss regarding it maybe slowing progression. I desperately don't want to get my mom's hopes up and see her go through a possibly invasive procedure for it to not work and possibly set her back further. But...I have to check if this is something looking into further.

Thank you.

I moved this because stem cells in this context are NOT research. They are unproven claims to treat multiple conditions. This concept has been discussed here multiple times. The advice you will see if to not waste time and money on this. Not only is there no evidence it will help there are instances where PALS have been harmed. You can search the forum for threads

I found this story http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/06/02/stem.cell.therapy/

The only way you should be considering stem cells would be in the context of a clinical trial when another opens up.

I am sorry to be so blunt but there are people who prey on vulnerable PALS

If you want to waste $15,000 go for it.

But in my 4 years of als I've seen only two (2!) say that it helped. Temporarily.

BrainStorm trials are underway and show promise. But clinics DO NOT OFFER this.

Thank you for your honest feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back