Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
HR
State
Croatia
City
ZAGREB
you saw that movie, but i need (maybe new) discussion.
sci. articles said (just once!) that there is very often that pals have fatty liver/nafl. one trial said app 76%.
no direct connection with ALS and liver by now. But, when i had car accident, in 1997, the doctor said that i have alt and ast elevated. nothing critical (app. 2x upper limit of refference value), but i should check it at internist. so i was...
checked for viruses, willson's disease, all hepatitis - a, b, c...xyz. everything negative.
i didnt have any issues at all, but i checked it in 23 years for (maybe) 20 times. value was allways the same - elevated. +- 10%
if fatty liver/ast&alt is/are present permanent for a long term, it may trigger some processes, even genes alteration. hence, it is normally that nothing can be find in a examinations for a short time. epigenetic is on a stage! we dont need to emphaisze that healthy liver is a prerequisite against hyperammonia, which is considered as a possible cause of als.
currently, i have normal alt and ast (alt<ast!) thanks to cbd (cb2 receptors are in a liver!) for a year. still have faith in a reverse epigenetics, even i can not count zeros. (p=0.00000000000001%).
how is/was your liver?

thoughts?

Mine is normal. It has always been normal. I would expect it to be normal since I've always had good eating habits and never consumed alcohol.

Mine has always been normal, BUT NOW, since I started taking Riluzole, my ALT and AST numbers just reported elevated. The doctor thinks it is almost certainly (99% chance) due to the Riluzole, and therefore he has pulled me off it for 30 days so they can re-test my liver functioning. I am due for the re-test now. Assuming my levels will have returned to normal, the real decision will be whether to risk the liver damage by going back on Riluzole. I'm just not sure it's worth it. Curious whether anyone else has had to make this choice.

Another normal liver here.

Eric I have been able to take riluzole no problem but not everyone can. I know I was told mgh allows a 5x increase before pulling the plug on riluzole. Theoretically riluzole slows progression by ten percent and works best in early stage and late stage. I have been told it might slow early progression by 25 percent.

that said, if you choose to try again you would need very careful monitoring. Do you drink alcohol? I do not but when they increased my riluzole ( I take twice the usual) I was told not to drink at all

My Chris's liver was textbook normal too.

I was told 3x increase is when they pull the Riluzole, and my increase was between 1.5x to 2x. But, maybe it would increase more if I kept going. You're right - I will need monthly monitoring. I do enjoy my cocktails - my regular doctor (not my neurologist) tells me the body has no problem processing alcohol if it's just a couple drinks at a time. I think I'd be miserable on a strict no-alcohol regimen. As in, more miserable than the normal misery of motor neuron disease. The cocktails help, as Billy Joel sings, "to forget about life for a while" or in my case, to just enjoy it for a while.

Eric,

My husband's liver enzymes are high, too. Currently it is double what is average (his numbers are 124), but they have been as high as 260. His neuro wanted to pull him off of Riluzole, but after a team meeting of three neuros, they will take a watch and see approach. He will need to get monthly blood tests for a while to see where his enzymes go. Before ALS, though, he never had any liver issues as he ate healthy and rarely drank alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back