Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
AU
State
Victoria
City
Melbourne
I am in the process of being diagnosed with ALS or what we call in Australia Motor Neurone Disease MND. Early this year I started taken Cholestrol Lowering drugs (Statins) and at one stage it was believed that I had a weakness in my lower leg muscles due to this. After having an EMG the Neurologists believed that it is more than likely the beginnings of ALS. I have now come across some articles which state that the drug Statin is linked with Als. I am trying to find out if anyone else with ALS were taking Statin like medication prior to being diagnosed?

Hi, dtlittle ... I'm sorry that you are facing a possible diagnosed of ALS. But glad you found us.

I was taking 40 mg of Lipitor a day before my ALS symptoms began. (Had been taking it for several years.) About 3 months after the start of my symptoms, my primary care doctor doubled the dosage to 80 mg, although my cholesterol was actually extremely good. I felt at the time that that was way too much, since I am small and elderly, and my cholesterol numbers were good. That was 2 1/2 years ago.

Now, my neuro told me a few weeks ago that it had been proved in a Canadian study that statins make ALS symptoms worse. This was confirmed by this forum's super moderator, Al, whose own neuro was involved in the study.

The important distinction in all this is that (as I understand it) statins do not CAUSE ALS. But if you have ALS, taking statins will make your symptoms worse.

There are other ways to control cholesterol, such as Questran (sp?), a powder that you mix into a liquid. This stays within the digestive tract (it does not go into the blood stream or affect any organs), and helps flush out cholesterol. Niacin is also good to help raise the "good" cholesterol.

My neuro suggested I stop taking all statins if my cardiologist agreed, and the cardi agreed. (I had already stopped it by the time I saw the cardiologist, but he said it was OK. :) )

Good luck. I hope it does not turn out to be MND.

Last edited:
The possible co-enzyme Q10 connection

There is also the fact that statins deplete the body of CoQ10, a necessary substance used in energy metabolism. I know some doctors recommend that those on statins take supplemental CO10 for this reason. I wonder if those not taking CoQ10 or getting much in the diet who are on statins (especially high doses) might be having problems with ALS getting worse or possibly even in triggering the ALS in the first place. I believe they have found that there are mitochondrial abnormalities in ALS and CoQ10 is used in the mitochondria.

Searcher

I have been taking Q10 for several years, as I read that statins deplete the body of this. I'm still taking it, and upped my dose, as it seems to be of benefit to ALS patients whether they're on statins or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back