Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NY
City
Schenectady
I just wanted to share some information with everyone. My Dad has been having issues with his toes curling and his physical therapist recommend he try wearing Stassburg socks at night. They have helped him tremendously! They have reduced the curling with his toes and his calves feel better due to the light stretching the socks provide. He wears them every night to bed and since wearing them, putting on his shoes has become a much easier task. You can google "strassburg socks" on the internet. They look a little odd, but they really, really have helped my Dad.

Best wishes,
Jessica

Jessica,
I've never heard of these socks, but they sound great! My husband doesn't have the curling toes problem, but I'll definitely know what to do if the problem starts. Thanks for sharing.
Jane

Wish I had tried those before spending thousands of bucks on Orthotics for my shoes. (back when I could still walk)
AL.

I am bumping this thread up.... There does not seem to be a whole lot of recent activity in discussion about toes curling. Has anyone tried these socks? They look like they would feel like you've got your feet under the bedclothes with the sheets tucked in too tight!

I knew my fingers curled up when I sleep, even in the day if I relax my right hand, the fingers snap together and bend down (so weird!). This morning when I woke up, I realized my toes on my right foot were pulled together and curled under... so, since I was paying attention, I then saw that they do it when I'm sitting with my leg crossed at the knee too. This is not just an evil disease, its also quite strange.

I have seen a ankle type at Home Health centers in BC. I'm trying to fine them here in town but no luck yet.

Micheline,

How are you?

What do you mean by ankle type...... Is it for support of your ankles or is it something for toe curling?

We've got toes curling here; fingers curling on another thread- it must be that darn humidity !

Mare, LOL I think you're onto something.

Micheline,

Were you specifically preferring an ankle style, or just had happened to find that type? It seems like I remember a while back that you'd written your doctor or pt had advised you to use your afos even though you are in a wheelchair now. Maybe this is why? To keep your toes up, or was it just for added stability...

There are a variety of this type of splint (for lack of a better word).
They are used for plantar fasciitis- causes heel pain. runners often get this.

Micheline, FootSmart has something in their catalogue (and online, I assume) that might be what you are talking about. It is called the Plantar FXT and is catalogue #30055.

I agree with Jennifer, though, to check with a PT/OT since this does not specifically say to use for "toe-curling".

Ooops! That was Danijela over on the finger curling thread that said to check with PT/OT before buying anything.

I still agree!

Yeah, I can't find any literature on it saying it can be used to prevent toe curling (or whatever the correct medical terminology is). I will ask next appt, but that's not for a while still.

I just don't know how many appliances I can don at night, and still be expected to sleep!

Hello,
The stockings are ankle hieght for toe curling. they weren't that expensive. As far as the afo's the orth (sp) said it would be a waste of money for me, i'm still transferring onto the toilet, but need help with it but have the ceiling lifts in the bedroom, living room and at the bottom of the stairs. soon the one in the bathroom.

I will update later, don't want to hijack thread.

Hi Micheline...I thought the Strassburg socks are expensive especially when it does not say it is for toe curling (and when you notice the price is per sock and not a pair)
Is there a name for the ankle socks you mention?

I saw some sort of ankle variety in the MDA Apr/May/Jun magazine.... around page 92. Its called the Dorsi strap, but it does not say anything (in the ad) about toe curling, just that its for drop foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back