06/2011
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Woodinville
Hi Folks,

I am finding more and more that I get startled so easy from loud noises and when people walk up from behind me. Does this happen to anyone else? My husband says I've always been quite jumpy, but not to this extreme. This morning a coworker walked up behind me and said "Good Morning", and I really caught me off guard and I spilled my coffee. It was a bit embarrassing. Is this PLS related? I will ask my neurologist next month when I go for my checkup. It seems that I read something about this in PLS articles, but not sure. I shouldn't say I'm "jumpy", because I can't jump anymore. I know you all understand that. :-(

Blessings to all,
LouLou

I startle very easy with any loud noises. One morning my tea went flying.

I always have been a jumper. I seem to startle very easily now.

Same with me. Sometimes, I can't even move but it's as and electric shock runs though out my whole body like a short circut, very wierd.

No Need to ask the Neuro.. Absolutely and completely a Upper Motor Neuron Symptom. It is a extreme hyper reflex-the startle reflex. It is a common UMN problem..

I agree with H4C. The startle reflex is just that, a reflex that is tied to upper motor neuron activity. Hyperreflexia is a symptom of upper motor neuron dysfunction.

same as what h4c and pz said.

I will second what Olly said.

Cheers

Peter

Yes, it is a symptom. My hubby's doc mentioned it in his eval. My husband jumps skyhigh when the dog barks suddenly. I look over at the dog, he jumps with vibration in his entire body!

i know am a jumpy so and so....i get weird sensations when am caught out in a fib..mostly by the missus...and when i see someone fall or hurt themselves..hyperreflexic i am for sure.................boo...............pooler.

My husband's arm always used to jump up when the phone rang!

Oh yes, that's why I gave up driving. I had the strength but could not count on my reactions.

It's called "Heightened Startle Reflex". I have to wear ear plugs at work it bothers me so much. Any sharp noise is like someone punching me in the head.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Guess this is just another thing we need to live with (unfortunately), but things could be worse.

This forum is so helpful. I feel like I have many new friends - friends that really understand.;-)

LouLou

A little hint....

stick some of those small mirrors in places where you sit frequently so that you can see behind you. Many people at work do this (mainly so someone won't see that they are on Facebook or shopping....lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back