Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
US
State
California
City
Anaheim
The Stanley Cup and Chris Osgood paid a visit to the home of PALS Augie Nieto.

There's also a short video "I Feel Like a Champion" linked from this page:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/nieto-cup-one-2065893-ilitch-wings

"As everyone watched, Detroit Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood lifted the 35-pound trophy onto the lap of Augie Nieto, 50, a former weightlifter who no longer has the strength to lift his own arm.

'It feels like I'm a champion – I'm part of a dynasty,' said Nieto, though almost no one could understand his words.

Nieto was once known for his strength and speech. While still in college, he co-founded Lifecycle Inc. It later became Life Fitness, maker of most of the exercise bikes you find in many gyms and one of the largest fitness equipment makers in the world.

For this feat, Nieto has been called "The Henry Ford of the exercise industry."

But in 2005, Nieto was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis – ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease. Nieto decided to fight it with the same entrepreneurial zeal he brought to business. He teamed up with the Muscular Dystrophy Association to launch "Augie's Quest," which raised more than $14 million in the last three years for ALS research."

Glad to see that a Canadian trophy could bring so much joy to a fellow ALS ppatient and his family.
AL.

Correction: Former Canadian trophy. Originally from Canada, the Cup seems to like it in the USA recently.

... but be patient. You may win it again one year. :-D

-Tom

Augie

Augie is a true champion. He has done so much for the ALS community. It made my heart drop seeing how his son could understand and interpret his every word. I feel that way with my husband too. All PALS are champions!

True Tom but if you check, most players are either European or Canadian. We just let you guys play with us because you have big bucks to pay the boys. LOL.
AL.

Good comeback Al!
It's CANADIAN, and so is Chris Osgood - originally from Medicine Hat, Alberta - right where I live, and as a matter of fact, I used to work with Chris's Mom. We used to watch him when he played for the Medicine Hat Tigers - great kid, and great goalie!
Beaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back