Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
Over Memorial Day weekend my kids and I all flew up to Maine to spread Lonny's Ashes. He was raised in a small town on the coast and considered that his home so I decided that would be a good place for him. I rented a house in the town he lived in and we had a lovely time walking around and reminiscing about dad. Saturday afternoon we watched the video of his memorial service for the first time and looked at pictures of our family, then we had a Lobster feast in honor of him. As dusk approached, we walked out to a breakwater in the bay. it had been very foggy the night before and rainy in the early afternoon, but at sunset on Saturday it was clear and cool and calm as could be, as if Lonny requested it for us. the breakwater is about a mile long and by the time we reached the lighthouse at the end the sun was almost set. the sky was orange with dark fluffy clouds, and the ocean was completely still. No one else was on the breakwater by then, and one by one we each quietly spread his ashes on the water. afterwards we lit sky lanterns and let them go up over the bay (sounds lovely and it was--but really much harder than I imagined LOL). It all felt so right.

This ceremony gave me so much peace. I have to say, since he has been gone when I thought of him I could only see the ALS man in my mind's eye. I was very sad about that as I had 24 good years before ALS but the 9 bad ones seemed to have overwhelmed all the happy memories in my mind. But as soon as I got off the plane, I started to have such strong thoughts and memories of him. he and I had taken many happy trips up to Maine and everywhere I looked I could remember some happy time or funny story. I spent the entire 4 days weeping happily as the good things flooded in and washed away the bad images of him. now in my mind's eye is my beautiful young husband, standing on the beach in Maine laughing and smiling at me. I could so feel him there!!!

I think on one hand this has started a new round of grieving--not hot and raw grief, but a deep and final type of grief. way down in my soul--he is really gone and I am really alone without him ever again--grief. on the other hand, I feel motivation for the first time since he died. I signed up for a real estate class (gonna go back to work finally) and a conversational Italian class (going to Italy with my daughter in October). Started sorting my stuff and getting rid of things in preparation for selling my house whereas before the trip I could not get motivated to do any of those things. And I haven't taken any naps--I was sleeping all night and then taking a 3 hour nap every afternoon, before my trip. I can't say that I feel peace, but I can see that it will be possible someday. I hope at least it will be. I am realizing that the giddy weird happiness that I felt for the first few months was just a reaction to the stress of his illness and death. I feel alone but not lonely, not happy and not sad, not at peace but not in turmoil.

So that is where I am, 8 and a half months out.

So glad you have found some peace. It sounds like it was a really great trip. Good luck on your classes. I always liked the idea of real estate.

Barbie, I'm so glad that you've shared this with us. It sounds like a beautiful farewell, and the trip was clearly a healing experience. How wonderful that the good memories now come, instead of those of the later years. You truely are a warrior princess. I hope that I can do half as well...
Becky

How very beautiful Barbie xxx

It does take some time to feel that shift starting, and I think it is part of what we need. The exhaustion would have been huge for you after so many years, and you just did what you needed then.

Now as the shift happens, you have allowed yourself to rest up, to just wallow in what you needed. That was wise.

You will do much better at moving into study and travel and house moving, having allowed yourself these first months to just rest up.

You are always such an inspiration warrior queen!

Barbie, you are one of the people I have followed and admired on this website for a number of years. My husband was diagnosed in March of 2010 but thinking back the symptoms started in 2007/2008. He passed away shortly before your husband on Sept. 6, 2015. I really identified with a LOT of what you shared over the years. I still have to spread his ashes and don't know that I am there yet. We would have been married 38 years last November. We have 2 adult sons who both had a hard time with his illness. He was not an easy man even before the MONSTER. Wishing you peace and good memories.

Barbie, it's so nice to see your post. You are the original and true warrior. You are an inspiration to me and many others. I am so glad you had such a beautiful ceremony. I am wishing you peace and know you have a beautful life ahead of you. You are one strong lady and deserve much happiness.

Nine years as a CALS. I'm so glad I only had 9 months.

Barbie - thank you for sharing a beautiful personal, family moment with us and for sharing how grief is going for you. I suspect grief, like ALS, is different, yet the same for everyone.

Blessings to you and your family!

Very glad for you. I can relate to all you are feeling. Very glad.

tc

Good to hear from you Barbie. Glad that happy memories are coming through instead of the sad one's. I went to Maine once and would love to go back. What a beautiful place to spread your husband's ashes. You are doing good and Lonny would be so proud of you. Please keep popping in every once in awhile. Hugs, Kim

Thank you Barbie.

Barbie, thank you for sharing this beautiful description. You have truly honored Lonny and I am sure he is so proud of you.

Sharon

"I feel alone but not lonely, not happy and not sad, not at peace but not in turmoil."

I can so relate to that Barbie. Thank you for sharing your wonderful memorial for Lonny. It sounded absolutely beautiful.

Hi Barbie, nice to hear from you. Oddly I haven't been on the forum for a very long time, as I found it so difficult to lose so many new friends. I have often thought of you and wondered what your new world looked like. Tim and I continue on, but I know that his time grows ever nearer. Even he is talking about it a bit now which is something he would never do before. He continues to have that bright soul attitude, although much weaker now. Thanks for stopping by.
Paulette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back